VM carbs

Campbell45

Penny Pincher
Reaction score
I'm running VM30s and the thing bogs, sputters, and general doesnt wanna go. I cant give it throttle quickly without it dieing. Anyone running VMs with success? I'll post up my jetting if anyone else chimes in...

It sounds like you're too rich my man. What do the spark plugs have to say?

If you're able please post a photo of your carbs attached and explain how you fit them. There is scarce information on running vm30s. People say that you can, but there is generally little more than talk going on. Or maybe I just haven't been around to catch a good post. I certainly haven't searched extensively.

Also, make sure your timing is spot on. I had similar throttle response when I first got the XS400 and had cleaned the carbs thoroughly. Unknownst to me, the PO had misadjusted the timing. Once the timing was set correctly the throttle response improved greatly.

Timing is perfect. The bike acts like this hot or cold. Its alot better when hot. My plugs look rich but when I jetting it down it was alot harder to start and I couldnt tell a difference. Maybe ill try it again..

I believe I'm running 150 mains, 30 pilots, and needle in the middle. VM30's by the way. I just havnt seen much talk in the xs400 world with vm's

I'd say lower mains and larger pilot

with pods and "free-flow" exhaust i'm running 50 pilot (up to 4k revs) and 143 mains on my CV34's

there is a website i posted a while back that enables you to tune carbs and what to look for!

Back