What exhaust should I get

arrichar

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I have a 81 xs400 Special. It has the headers on it already but I need some muffers to not be hassled by the cops. What kind of muffler should I get that will not make me have to rejet my carbs and isnt too expensive. Im open to buying someones stock mufflers if the want to sell them.

Attachments

• xs400.jpg
    xs400.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 312
Check the classifieds on here or ebay. All of the generic and cheap new mufflers I have seen, including the one I bought, are quite loud. Odds are that the cheaper the muffler, the smaller the muffler, and ergo less muffling. Small, cheap mufflers also flow a lot more and obviously that would require jetting.

Full size generic mufflers that won't get any inordinate amount of attention are going to be something like $50+ each for new and may require some work to get them to fit right. Generic, cheap mufflers also tend to have cheap muffler packing. Cheaper muffler packing makes the exhaust note louder and crappier. It is possible to buy new muffler packing. Applications specific to these bikes, whether oem or oem replica, are going to be much more expensive but probably won't require any custom fitting or jetting.

If you're open to custom fitting you can also potentially find a used oem muffler from another make and model that fits close enough.

Back