Will cold compression testing tell me enough?

markjs

XS400 owner, bike lover
Reaction score
I don't have carbs or tanks set up for the spare engine, would like not to have to do that. Is a cold test enough?

Plus, can someone tell me what the bare minimum to get it turning over is? I was told just hook the battery to the neg cable and the other touch to the starter terminal, isn't that supposed to be enough to turn the starter? It doesn't, so I am assuming the wiring harness has to be connected?

Is the engine still in the bike? Can you kick it over?

I haven't had to jump a starter in years, so the best bet may be to google it and see if you can get any help.

No it's DOHC no kickstarter, and the engine is out. I hokked up the harness solenoid and ignition and still no turn over. Really stuck here guys? I am using a dual purpose deep cycle and jumpers, the only idea I have is that the cables are not making enough connection or those relays are screwing me?

Ground the block to the battery negative and connect positive directly to starter motor connection. When ready, quickly tap positive jumper to positive of battery. There will be sparks and it will try to weld itself to battery.

Be prepared for the engine to torque around - have it well braced! 10 compression hits should tell you the story. If low, put a little oil in the plug hole and try again.

I must be getting a bunk connection, tried that got zero response. Battery was at 12.4 which should have been enough with such a big battery.

Back