Wrong Size H-pipe?

rugbywarrior89

Need more time...
Reaction score
Hi All,

I just bought an air intake H-pipe for my 82 heritage special as the PO had straight pod filters on the bike. I took it out of the box and the diameter is wrong. It is the exact size of the carb side intake instead of sliding over it. Attempts to force it have not worked. Did they make two different sizes for different models? And if so, does anyone have an H-pipe they are willing to part with that would fit my bike or know where to get one?

I will ride it with the straight pods for now but I want to get it tuned and I want to have my Uni filters and H-pipe on first.

Thanks in advance.

did you try putting it in hot water before sliding it on? It makes the rubber more flexible and also expands it slightly.

I thought of some various things like that. I just didn't want to take a chance breaking it if I needed to take it back. I'm just looking for a confirmation one way or the other. If all h-pipes are that size then I will get more bold and figure it out.

They maid two for the sohc models. One for the xs360 and one for the xs400. They are spaced the same but the xs360 used a 52mm carb end where the xs400 has a 54mm. Sounds like you have one for a dohc bike if the spacing is off. Post some pics of what you have.

Attachments

• DSC02384.jpg
    DSC02384.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 221
  • DSC02385.jpg
    DSC02385.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 219
  • DSC02386.jpg
    DSC02386.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 220
I will later after work but it looks to me like I got the one on the right side of the middle picture. Mine also has that more robust looking inner lip.:doh:

So does that mean the one on the left is for sale?:D

Chris is the one on the left for a SOHC 400? i beginning to think the one i got off ebay was described wrong. the spacing wasnt right and the cone pods would be just hitting my battery box.

would explain why i was having so much trouble getting it installed and not just cold fingers

You have the xs360 one then. The xs400 one has almost no lip in the hose. Yes I can sell you one:) $20 shipped.

Attachments

• DSC02387.jpg
    DSC02387.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 211
  • DSC02388.jpg
    DSC02388.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 209
Chris is the one on the left for a SOHC 400? i beginning to think the one i got off ebay was described wrong. the spacing wasnt right and the cone pods would be just hitting my battery box.

would explain why i was having so much trouble getting it installed and not just cold fingers

Could be. Measure the hose and if it's 52mm then it's for a xs360.

The xs360 one is also longer than the 400 because of the shorts carbs.

Attachments

• DSC02389.jpg
    DSC02389.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 246
Change your title to "resident parts manager." No one else would have every variation of that part on hand :laughing:

I probably wouldnt have bought my XS if this site didnt exist. I would have kept looking for a CB350 so thank you Travis! :cheers::bow2:

I have to say xschris has contributed a lot to the site in many different ways especialy his knowledge on various different models of bikes and carb tutorials.There also has been many other fine contributors whos names I cant remember soory about that so I thank Travis and all the members that have helped us newbies along the way. for having such a valuable site as this one.It has helped me immensely :thumbsup:

I have to say xschris has contributed a lot to the site in many different ways especialy his knowledge on various different models of bikes and carb tutorials.There also has been many other fine contributors whos names I cant remember soory about that so I thank Travis and all the members that have helped us newbies along the way. for having such a valuable site as this one.It has helped me immensely :thumbsup:

I seem to be a parts warehouse a lot of the time:laugh: But that's ok it helps me and them out:thumbsup:

Back