what stock carbs are on a 1981 xs400

xs40081

XS400 Member
Reaction score
hey I don't know if I have a xs400 special or not, and am wondering which carbs are on the stock xs 400 for the year 1981, I can try and post pics but im sure someone out there knows the stock carb, I am trying to order the new diaphrams but need to know the exact model of carb, and aslo any one know the outlet size for were the filter goes ive seen 48mm and 54mm im ordering pod filters but don't want to order wrong size lol, thanks

Post pics of the carbs you have. 54mm Pods will fit all xs400 carbs. Make sure to get uni filters or real k&n and avoid emgo's and even the mikesxs k&n knock offs. A filter that can be oiled is waaay better than one that is not.

thanks for the air filter info, I will order 54mm filters, if you guys can tell by the pics and tell me what exact carbs they are that would be great idk if there bs34s I heard?

They are from a 77-79 xs400. Your missing the center part from the first pic on you second pic. You need that to hold the throttle cable in place.

yes I know I have it its getting powdercoated, so I should order diaphrams for a 77-79 model?

ok thank you glad I posted a picture before I ordered, I will order diaphragms and filter for the 77-79 carbs, the lady I bought the bike off did say they replaced the motor for the kickstart so that would explain different year carbs, thanks!

I wish emgo would either improve their crappy pod filters or remove them from the market.They look pretty but like you said unfuntionable as a good filter.

Most pods are no more than a screen. If you can see light through the materiel it will not stop dust a dirt. Either a oiled uni or an actual oil-able cotton filter traps dust and dirt. I think only K&N makes those type.

Back