HELP with identifying this bike please??

JohnLrd

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I have a friend who is giving me (what he claims is) a 1984 Yamaha XS400RJ...He said it runs, just needs some minor brake parts...So im looking at Yamaha's parts site, and they don't offer any parts for said bike...I looked at Wiki and they said the XS400 was only made till 82...Is this bike then an '82?? I don't have pics, wont till sat...Thats all I know about it from a few text messages...Any help??
Thanks!

how can we help if you give us little or conflicting info?

it could be an 84 as it would be when the bike was registered not made

Some pics:)

Attachments

• Yamaha XS400_1983.jpg
    Yamaha XS400_1983.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 226
  • XS400RJ.jpg
    XS400RJ.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 218
I have a friend who is giving me (what he claims is) a 1984 Yamaha XS400RJ.....Any help?? Thanks!
It is likely a 1984 model just as your friend says. I have a 1984 (model yr) dohc Maxim, manufactured in 1983. It is the "J" model.
The RJ is the Seca and the manual downloadable on this site is for the RJ (http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4503).
The 400 Seca was made and shipped to Europe until 1989 but it might have carried a different letter designation.

Here are a couple of links to info on your bike - so you know it actually exists:

Thanks for the all the responses...Ive been out of town working, just got home..I plan on picking up the bike tomorrow, (Sunday) and I'll know more then...I know it needs a few minor brake parts, so I went to Yamaha site to find the parts, and they didn't offer anything for that style of bike, and that's what made me question what he said..could that be because they don't make OEM parts for that bike?

I've never had to buy any brake parts yet, however, I found the local generic motorcycle shop was able to order just about anything for a customer.

It seems many of the folks on here buy from various other on-line suppliers, the most popular seemingly is Mikesxs - which specializes in the xs650 but which seems to carry much 400 stuff too. Likely Yamaha itself is the last place to look.

Ok, so...I guess its an 82 Seca 400...Somehow I overlooked that...Heres some pics...Leme know if were right...I took some shots of the info from the forks...My buddy did all the work, he relocated the front brake master cylinder so it need a new one, and the rear brake pedal is gone...Needs a new battery, but it runs great and I only payed 100$ for it!!..Thanks Lou Ranger and I look forward to meeting more of you as this bike and I get acquainted!

Attachments

• Left.jpg
    Left.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 216
  • Motor.jpg
    Motor.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 227
  • Rear.jpg
    Rear.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 220
  • Right.jpg
    Right.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 222
  • Seca.jpg
    Seca.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 208
  • Tag.jpg
    Tag.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 212
  • Tag2.jpg
    Tag2.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 221
If your referring to the owners/maintenance manual, I have one...If this is something else, please post a link?? Also, just wanted some personal input from other Seca 400 owners as to what to do or not do with this bike..Thanks

Okay, sounds like you have the same book. On the forum here there's a scanned version.
I have the same engine in my Maxim and can start off with a caution. Install a < $3 in-line fuel filter. You will likely have to take the carbs off and clean them, but in case there is any detritus from a PO in the tank, it can give you some extra security.

Also, check out this thread:

http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10595

It can walk you through what to do the first few days before you accidentally create an additional maintenance opportunity ...

Back