XS400-something - identifying an Aussie Yamaha

GreasyMonkey

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

New poster so apologies for the length!

I bought a bike frame from someone in Australia recently, in good condition, and am fixing it up.

I think I've got an 1982 XS400R Seca (I'm very convinced of that given the fairings and lights, lack of kick start, rear drum brake, single spring etc). It basically resembles exactly the pictured bikes here: https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/yamaha/yamaha_xs400r 82.htm. I don't think it's a Maxim because of the wheels.

The most annoying thing unfortunately is that I can't match the VIN number to the XS400R in the VIN ID booklet available on this forum (the Lee S Cole book, can't find a link atm). My vin is 10/82 17X-000498 - both frame and engine match.

I just wanted to be sure because I know 1982 was the cusp of change for the XS400 in terms of a shift in configuration, and Australia is a fair way down the supply chain so there is a possibility they were still stamping 1982 on older models to dump them in Aus.

After working out exactly what my bike IS, I'm trying to work out which manuals are the most appropriate, particularly specs for maintenance etc. I've seen:

Basically, I just need some help confirming that I do indeed have a XS400R Seca from 1982/83, and the best manual set for the technical specs for that bike because the last thing I need is getting chucked off by tankslappers in Melbourne traffic.

Any help would be great!

received_1419130745528410.jpeg

20230513_160552.jpg

Welcome to the forum.

You have a DOHC Seca. It would probably be considered a 1983 model, but that should be exactly the same as the 1982 model year bike. In the US, it would be equivalent to the 1982 XS400RJ or the 1983 XS400RK bikes - so looking for info related to those bikes will also get you close to yours.

I haven't seen the the Lee Cole VIN code book, but if you find the link to it, please post it! I have my own list of VIN codes I have been "collecting," and your Aussie VIN will be a new addition to that, thanks.

Thanks for the link!

I did a quick search after your original post and found something else that might be interesting - the model index from 1958 until 2010 published by Yamaha. It is at scribd.com which is a pay site. I signed up for a 30 day trial and downloaded a copy. I will work to pull out the XS400/360/250 specific VIN info that might be useful and post it in a separate thread.

However, even that manual may not be exactly correct as it shows that the 17X VIN bikes are 1983 models produced for the US and Canadian markets. Clearly your bike is an ADR spec 17X that was for the AUS market. I will have to check out the Lee Cole information to see how that compares.

It could have been imported into Australia, say by a US service member stationed there. I remember hearing all sorts of stories like that back in the 80's.

I can also very much see a way that units manufactured for the USA which were not ordered by US distributors or unsold could have been routed to Australia and stamped well after production to get in imported - we're known for ending up with the dregs of the supply chain, and the 80s weren't exactly our poster-years for robust import controls!

I can also very much see a way that units manufactured for the USA which were not ordered by US distributors or unsold could have been routed to Australia and stamped well after production

You might be on to something. Probably the only thing that Yamaha needed to change was the headlight - swapping a DOT one for an ADR one, and then putting on the Australian VIN sticker.

Back