How to remove Ignition Coils ('82 Maxim)?

GenusHomo

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I finally found where the ig coils were, but am I suppose to lower the engine to remove them all the way? I have it unplugged and unbolted from the frame so far, but there just doesn't seem to be enough room to pull it all the way out.

Having trouble with no spark on left cylinder.

I tried searching the forum for an answer, but didnt find anything.

I found that it helped to remove the upper engine mounts and the metal shield that is covering the bottom of the frame when I removed my coils. Just be sure to have a small jack under the engine to support the weight. The rear mounts weren't intended to take all the weight of the engine. If you also remove the upper rear bolt, then engine can be lowered, pivoting on the lower rear bolt, but be careful with the exhaust, chain, wiring and carb boots. I didn't have to lower the engine and I have large hands...

Alright, both ig coils/plug wires still good. Any advice on where to go next?

Is there a way to check the pickup coils? Or is there maybe a broken wire?

The wiring harness is still wrapped up tightly with no evident tampering.

Anybody know the best way to test the CDI box or the pickups?

I don't have a multimeter, but I can get my hands on one pretty easy.

Oh and does the right coil go to the right plug and left coil to the left plug? The PO messed around with the bike a little and the manuals I downloaded seem to only be for older bikes with points.

Right now I have the right (3-wire) connected to the right plug and the left (2-wire) connected to the left plug.

Hi I had same same problem with my bike, it is more than likely pickup coil.
4 wire connector at ignition box needs to show resistance of about 140 ohms orange/black then grey/black obviously disconnect to perform test. Connector also has black/white trace wire that goes nowhere on my bike (poss for tacho on some models) Once you have replaced any faulty coil check for spark and away it will go running like a new one........ well mine did. Pickups live under l/h engine cover and wiring runs to neutral switch and oil pressure switch. On removal of cover you WILL lose some oil so be prepared. I replaced both coils and the wiring. If you are handy with a soldering iron and heat shrink, I have a spare coil you can have for cost of £15.00 plus P+P
Or have a look on ebay search Yamaha pickup coil... shall we say that coils from may different models are the same however the connectors may not be......

Hope this repays some of the help I have had from this forum

Terry

Thanks for the info, that's the next thing I'm trying once I get the time to tinker with the bike again.

I actually had the pickup cover off and oil ran out everywhere (wasn't expecting that). It sure was super clean in there though, they looked new almost.

Do I just take the big nut off to remove the pickups? I'm borrowing my brothers multimeter, but that sounds easier.

No point in removing the plate .... just unscrew the coils and they lift off the plate. Doesn't matter they look new, mine look perfect!!! Use the meter to test then replace as necessary

Cheers Terry

Yep, the pickup with the grey wire isn't reading(looks like the lower pickup on the wiring diagram). Orange is reading 160ish.

Do the pickups themselves go bad, or is it usually a bad wire? I'm really hoping it's just a wire (have a stuck screw on the transmission cover, so I can't follow the pickup wires at the moment).

Nevermind, decided to check at the pickups with two sewing needles and the bottom reads 175ish while the top pickup doesn't read.

Looks like I found my spark problem, thanks Terry and everyone else that has helped.

Terry: If I can't find one in the States I'll PM you about the pickup you have for sale.

Yeah, I think I lucked out. Just used Buy it Now and paid $27 shipped for the whole setup from the ignitor plug to the pickup coil plate. The seller has good feedback and the listing says it worked when it was taken off the bike.

There doesn't seem to be many of them, that's for sure. Hopefully they don't go out often...

On a side note: Is it suppose to be dry in the pickup coil compartment? or is it suppose to have some oil in there? Everything seems to be coated in a thin layer of oil.

Hope it works as advertized.

It is a "wet" area. Not a huge amount of oil though due to it's height on the engine. If you can get the bike safely leaned over to the right side, you won't loose much more than a teaspoon of oil when you change the pickups. Just be sure to route the wires carefully.

Yeah, I learned the hard way, lost about half a quart right after a fresh oil change. This time I just drained the oil into a jug because I have the bike on the middle stand while working on it.

Glad to know it's suppose to be "wet." Thanks for that info.

Back