How to Remove a Stripped Pilot Jet

Recreateme

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
This method just worked for me, after about 2-3 hours of thinking, and trying multiple things it was actually VERY simple once i thought of it, and hopefully it will help others.

NOTE: The lessoned i learned was always use penetrating lubricant before even attempting the removal of jets or other sensitive parts, it just makes life easier.

So you bought an old XS400, stripped it down, ripped out the carbs with glee and opened them up on your bench just like you have been reading about. You easily removed the main jets and are feeling good about yourself and finally locate the pilots, picked a screw driver and went for it.... then tried again, and again and again, and finally looked down that hole and noticed you stripped it! F*ck. Better buy some new carbs eh?

Well this might help.

Step 1 - Spray some penetrating oil down there, like a bunch. Let it sit. Go shower cause you probably need it.

Step 2 - Grab a Torx T7 screw driver/bit whatever. (i used an interchangeable multi tool i bought to removed laptop screws, and fix guitars, it was like 10$ at Radio Shack, make sure it has a small bit that say "T7" on in"

Step 3 - Stick the bit into the whole, tap with a hammer a couple times until it get good and stuck into the nozzle of the pilot jet (the goal is to ram it down the throat of jet so that it bites)

Step 4 - grab some plilers and gently unscrew it. (if you mess up the T7 and you strip that too, try the T8, repeat the steps, I am sure you can manage)

Voila! - You're gonna need a new jet, but at least your pod filters are gonna work better.

(I know to the advanced board members this might a "duh - obviously" moment, but for new guys like me, i wish a thread had such a clear methodology rather having to search through 25 threads about how to do this, looking for someones reply. Hopefully this can limit questions and provide newbs with a method they can find, and try fairly easily before posting a thread asking about how to do it)

Thanks!

Attachments

• Photo 2013-09-10 11 13 45 PM.jpg
    Photo 2013-09-10 11 13 45 PM.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 399
Last edited:
Thanks, i saw that. I read the first sentence and said "There is a Tech Section? then what is the Garage for? " ooops!

EDIT: I can't find a tech section.... All i have is Garage, Lounge, Classifieds, Classroom, and Sandbox on my main page, and the classroom...

Only for mods/admins. I think Drewpy was supposed to take over the Tech page, but I'm not sure. Until then I've got my how-to bundle :)

Good info.

But never forget, my friends, that aluminum expands more with heat than brass, so even a moderate warming to a few hundred degrees with a heat gun can work wonders on a jet.

What do you do if the extractor breaks off in the jet:laugh: I have picked up a lot of used carbs with this issue over the years. Those go in the scrap pile:D

Back