Grrr!!! cylinder head replacement help!!

member9724

XS400 Member
Reaction score
This is my 2nd post and in my 1st I explained how I had a stripped spark plug thread and decided to buy a new head. Well new head came in for 50$ and I realized that there is almost no information on how to do this! I took it to a shop for an estimate and the guy wanted $400!!!!
Could someone point me in the direction of how to pull the head and replacing it. Will I need a new head gasket? Will I have to take off the cam chain? Please help#!!!! I wanna ride!!!

Attachments

• DSC02502.jpg
    DSC02502.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 199
  • DSC02501.jpg
    DSC02501.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 285
Damn this really discouraged me... I was all happy that I finally had the head coming in and that I'd be able to ride it soon but this bomb was just dropped on me. I guess I'll have to give the helicoil a try before I buy another head? This sucks. ...

New gaskets and seals plus a valve lap and you should be good if the head is in good shape.

ok so i just bought that kit. now all i have to do is wait for it to come in! im somewhat nervous on doing this myself. im mechanically inclined but ive never messed with a motorcycle so thats why im asking so many questions! ill print and read the manual and see how its done. hopefully i dont screw anything up!

If you don't feel comfortable ( and have the money) it send it to the shop. You would still need to have the valves lapped and new valve seal put in by a shop if you don't have the right tools/knowledge. I would look around for other places to do the work. If you supply all the parts it should only be a labor cost.

im not sure yet. ill keep looking around on the forums to see if anyone has posted a video with step by step instructions on how to do it. if i can somehow find that i more than likely can do it! only problem is finding a video...

Back