How to wire my xs400 special with no battery

FalconerG

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

Just coming to the end of my first restoration. I would like to remove the battery. Can anyone tell me what I have to do to the current wiring to make this possible. Thanks for your help.

I read on this forum that with XS its not possible. battery has to be there. Being you, I will go with some very small battery :)

EDIT: you cannot go without battery, because XS uses field coil stator, which needs to be powered from battery. Only thing that may be possible is to switch stator to permanent magnet. but that can be a serious modification and i have no knowledge of that.

It is possible with a full permanent magnet alternator (PMA) conversion. I believe at least one member has done it.

It's no small task. Use the search function for PMA conversions. There was a fairly recent thread involving one.

Ohh.... That's thrown a spanner in the works! Do you know what the smalles amp hour battery could be used?
If Im not using the starter motor and could find a battery that fits could it be stored in there or is it to hot next to the engine?

Thanks for your help.

Great, that's what I'll get then. With such a small battery where you able to get rid of the starter relay?

Has anyone heard of mounting the battery where the starter motor was, or does it get to hot there?

Don't put the battery in the starter hole!! The battery needs to be in a cool and ventilated space. This is what I do with the one on my 80. It's been three years and 3500+ miles with no issues. Just make sure the new battery had a charge rate of at least 14.5v or you will fry it.

Attachments

• DSC02869.jpg
    DSC02869.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 395
  • DSC02870.jpg
    DSC02870.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 413
Don't put the battery in the starter hole!! The battery needs to be in a cool and ventilated space. This is what I do with the one on my 80. It's been three years and 3500+ miles with no issues. Just make sure the new battery had a charge rate of at least 14.5v or you will fry it.
Very cool. Will try to do something similar. If you are just using Kickstart what part of the wiring can you do away with? Obviously the starter motor, did you get rid of the starter relay? If so did you just wire the alternator through a transformer to the battery?

Thanks again for all of your help.

Very cool. Will try to do something similar. If you are just using Kickstart what part of the wiring can you do away with? Obviously the starter motor, did you get rid of the starter relay? If so did you just wire the alternator through a transformer to the battery?

Thanks again for all of your help.

All starter related wiring as well as mechanical parts ( starter motor, chain, starter clutch etc..) have been removed from the stock harness. The bike still has ( whats left of :laugh:) a stock harness. I have removed anything that I don't use or simplified it. I still have full lights, turn signals, horn, front and rear brake switch, kill switch ect... I still wanted a full functioning bike just waaay lighter:)

Back