My rd - xs Purchase

Mark s

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd start a new thread since we were starting to hijack volcomskater's craigslist thread in the classifieds.

I answered a cragslist ad this last weekend for 2 xs's. This is what I found when I checked them out:

Photo0268.jpg

I don't think the kid realized he had an rd instead of an xs. It had been given to him by his highschool shop teacher. I gladly handed him the cash we agreed on and went on my merry way. I was honestly hoping for 2 xs's so I could rob parts off the one and sell the rest to fund my bobber project. The xs does run but the intake boots are shot. The rd is stuck and I haven't had anytime to see what the exact problem is. The rd is all there except for a title. I'd love to build a cafe bike out of it, but no title is a problem and the xs comes first. I'll get a build thread going on the xs in a few weeks.

I was a trim carpenter and cabinet builder for 12 years before the economy went in the toilet. Now I farm in Northern Illinois. Since a bunch of my family have gotten into Harley's, I needed something to ride along but didn't want to pay the ridiculous amounts of money to join the harely club. So here I am. I sold my 73' rd350 several years ago and have always regretted it.

since this discussion is continued here (i didnt mind that much, but thans for being considerate;)) ill post this for the rd. now im on top of drewpy this time when he re-posts his lol

YamahaRD350.jpg

An RD400 would "smoke" a xs400 any day of the week. Also because its 2-stroke:laugh:

shit, I keep forgetting I'm not a mod on here. was going to put mine above yours :laugh:

put on an LC instead :p

LCflattracker1.jpg

yamaha_rd350_custom.jpg

yamaha-rd400.jpg

Are you sure that is a girl on the bike? I see more curves on the bike!

An RD400 would "smoke" a xs400 any day of the week. Also because its 2-stroke:laugh:

..unless its drewpy on a cart track. I beat an rd on the corners, he had me on the straight but I could out brake him (twin disks) and see him off that way.

One of the best days of my life that one!!:D

We should ask Crush he seems to have the experience on being able ot spot a shman!!!

damn drewpy, always one upping me. lol i like the fairing and red accents on the first one you posted
yeah she needs to eat some more, and have a less anguilar jaw. haha

I got some work done on the xs this last week.

Photo0265-1.jpg

Stripped it all down. I bet I took off 100 lbs.

Photo0283.jpg

After hours of pouring over pictures trying to get a feel for the look I wanted I decided to go brat stye. I lifted the forks 2" in the trees to get an idea of what it looks like. Lengthened the swingarm 2". Bent the upper frame down about 2 1/2" and relocated the shock mounts for the rebel shocks. I'm not happy with the look of the shock mounts and how the seat pan sits, so I'm still looking for ideas there. At first I was really hating that huge barrel of a gas tank, but it's honestly starting to grow on me. I'll probably ride it this year with the stock tank and perhaps work on the triple back bone next winter.

Photo0299.jpg

what the crap!!? You been peekin over my fence? haha! looks awsome I think, maybe cause i'm goin the same route, taller bars for me tho! good job

nice stance with the relocated shock mounts and the lowerd forks. i dig it! and even a square would look good with you hunkered down on it and all because of the clip ons.

i would be intrested in that trade... do you have a picture or it? if so, post it on my build, that way drewpy can be asked if anything will need to be changed.
lol

man that stance looks killer!!! its like half chopper/half bobber/half street fighter....3 halfs in one bike lol

what size eye to eye are those rear shocks?

The shocks dont make a perfect line with the bar under the seat, but it looks really nice as is. Are you going for the perfect hard-tail angle?

got any close up pics of the shock mounts, or of the other side, extention of the caliper mount? Are you gonna run a rear fender? looks fooking sweet to me!

Back