xs400 custom tank build

tbakic

1st cafe project underway
Reaction score
new updates posted !!!

my tank had a huge dent in it
photo1.jpg

i wanted a new looking tank, like an xs500 or an RD one, and a member suggested i hack up the stock one seeing as i am a welder/metal fabricator. I thought it was a great idea so here it goes!

first using a cut off wheel i removed most of the top and sides
photo2.jpg

then i used a grinder to grind down the rest of the material so i just had the bottom of the gas tank
photo3.jpg

then i used a blend pad to smooth out the edges and used scotch brite to remove the little bit of surface rust i had
photo4.jpg

here you can see the half done/not done comparison
photo5.jpg

now the fun part, designing the new tank with cardboard ;)
i wanted a boxy looking cafe-ish style, while also adding a little more capacity to the tank
photo6.jpg

photo7.jpg

photo8.jpg

this is my first design and after putting on the bike (sorry i dont have pics of it on the bike, the bike is in a garage w/o lights) i didnt quite like the design, it looks to much like a mini coffin lol. So the plan is the give the top a slight curve to it and to shorten or lower the back portion of the tank. Once i get a design i really like, import it to CAD and cut it out on a laser and start forming and tacking it all up!

stay tuned for more updates!!!!

Last edited:
cause it's made out of cardboard. ;)

YEA but he's going to line the cardboard with ALUMINUM FOIL and gasket sealant to create the perfect anti-leak tank... Gotta think ahead :laughing:

Don't worry it's not like the gas is going to eat through the sealant or anything.

While he's at it he can form plexiglass gas lines so he can see the fuel running to the carbs that would be way cool and plexiglass is sure not to break.:laugh:

UPDATE!!!

I am in the design phase right now, and it is monotonous!!!! it takes forever to compete just one design then i put it on the bike and see how it looks, here are some pictures of my second design on the bike

photo4-1.jpg

photo3-1.jpg

photo2-1.jpg

photo1-1.jpg

i like it, and right now it is my fall back design. im trying a 3rd one right now and it is almost complete, here are some pictures.

photo1-2.jpg

photo2-2.jpg

at first i wanted a nice flat, square-ish looking tank, kinda cafe style, so i made design #2 but i put it on the bike and i liked it but i wasnt sure, i want to try other options first just to make sure

at this point i want to put on my racer/cafe handlebars and seat/rear fender so i can get a better picture of how my tank will will match...

Do you plan to keep the seat as is, or do something different? That would have a bearing on the total flow of the bike design and maybe a decision on what type shape and size tank you want to make.

yep, you have to look at the whole bike too. if you are changing the rest of the bike do that next before you commit to steel.

I spent ages "stepping back" and visualizing the finished product. also do it out doors too, natural light/shadows play a part too!

UPDATE!!!

So i got my bike to my place of employment, this way making the tank is much easier because i have the bike with me lol. Before i was making tanks and bringing them up to my father in laws car shop haha.

i got my new handlebars so i threw them on to get a better look at the bike
1000001124.jpg

then i got an idea that my first idea my look really good with these handlebars so i did it again, but i switched the top to had a slight curve to it and i slightly changed the rear angle. i really like it
1000001129.jpg

now i need to get my CAD guy at work to draw it up so we cut it out on the laser :)
its very nice to have access to this kind of stuff

im going with 14ga stainless steel

I have a tank for that bike. Its Red and it is in good shape let me know if your interested or know anyone who is.

ive decided to give up waiting for our cad guy to draw my tank, i will b going ahead full steam making my tank from scratch/by hand stay tuned guys

Back