Distance Between Wheel and Fender

robindean

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I recently asked about how to adjust my suspension. I received some really good support and managed to crank the spring to it's maximum tension. The ride now feels much better when I have a passenger on back.

My next question may or may not be part of the bike's available adjustments.

Now that my suspension is set where I want it, is there a way to adjust the lift in the rear? By lift, I mean the distance between the tire and fender?

I'd like to boost it if possible. The bike looks normal but could, from my perspective, use a little bit more rise in the rear.

How do I put 'er in high heels, so to speak? LOL :laugh:

Feel free to look at my photos ... they show her in her current state.

I'm not familiar with your model but most modern bikes that have mono shocks have 2 struts or dogbones that run between the bottom of the shock and the swingarm. Short means higher, longer means lower. If yours runs frame straight to swingarm you'll most likely need a taller monoshock.

Posted via Mobile

Thanks for the tip.

I used this page ("J" model rather than "R" but almost near identical in many ways) to adjust the suspension ... http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/1982-yamaha-xs400j/o/m8257#sch207762

By clicking the right nav arrow, selecting "suspension" and then "swingarm - suspension", I see a diagram.

I'm not sure what I should be looking for but can't see anything that suggests what you're describing.

If you can manage to navigate there, I'd love to hear what everyone has to say.

The rear shock is under "swingarm - suspension." I think #15 is the shock. Of course you'd need a new, longer one, not the one in the diagram.

Interesting.

So, there's no adjustment, per say.

Where can I find a longer shock that is compatible with my model?

Interesting thought ... do the higher CC models from the same year have larger frames, thus longer rear shocks?

I was thinking I could order the rear shock for a 750 but would need some measurements first to anticipate the new height.

Easiest thing to do is measure yours eye to eye with no load or get the numbers from someone else and then find some universal monoshocks or start finding lengths on other bikes and order a used 1. You're lucky with the style you bike comes with bushing to bushing shocks are fairly standard my cbr comes with a bushing to fork style, so finding another bike with that style is impossible. Lol
http://www.ezone4.co.uk/mono_shock_absorbers_universal.htm

Posted via Mobile

Oh as a follow up there's advantages to doing what you want aswell. Raising the rear makes the wheel base slightly shorter aswell as the trail resulting in a bike that's twitcher in the corners. Not forgetting increases the ground clearance a bit for further hard cornering.

Posted via Mobile

LOL (ugh) ... in looking at these if only I could convince someone to magically tell me which one goes "too far" LOL!

LOL (ugh) ... in looking at these if only I could convince someone to magically tell me which one goes "too far" LOL!
Not sure I'm the one with magic, but I may be able to give you a rationalization for not doing anything except enjoy riding it. :bike:
Convince yourself that it's an optical illusion based on the following: according to MCS, the Seca has 18" wheels front and rear. The Maxim (my xs400) is a slight variation of the same DOHC bike: the same frame with the same mono-shock - different styling, different transmission, different wheel sizes. The Maxim has a 19" front and only a 16" rear wheel.
So the rear wheel IS likely closer to the fender on the SECA - as the Yamaha gods intended? :bow2:

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/yamaha/yamaha_xs400r 84.htm ... http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/yamaha/yamaha_xj400_maxim.htm

Then again, maybe a PO did install a shorter shock to lower the seat height, because the photos would appear to belie my rationalization. :umm:

This sounds like you're looking for a problem that isn't there. If you aren't rubbing (and trust me, you'd notice as the tire tears the fender off), then you're all right.

This sounds like you're looking for a problem that isn't there. If you aren't rubbing (and trust me, you'd notice as the tire tears the fender off), then you're all right.
Hard to argue B-W. But I have noticed that sometimes it is hard to notice things.
Example: I just noticed the fine print on the MCS page for the Maxim (1st link above). It's a four cylinder. :eek:
I'm so embarrassed. I've had the bike for 2 months now and haven't noticed where the other 2 are hidden yet. :doh:

Back