1978 Carburetors For Beginners

bcware

Well-read
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I dismantle the carburetors on my 1978 Yamaha XS400 and offer some general tips for beginners. Total length is 20 minutes.

Feel free to add your own tips, trick, or corrections.

Dang I wish I would have seen this video before I started work on my carbs. Very informative. I've had to learn everything the hard way. And can attest to the frustration of using the haynes manual! It has confused me several times. This video should be in the tech section.

Good job bcware :thumbsup: Only thing I would ask for is HD! :wink2:

Are these Makuni BS34's? My main jet has an O-ring around it that is a bitch to get to fit back in. I have an 81' special though. Is that something you passed over or dont have?

Ahh thanks for that info and link neophite. I was unaware that Hough had that up and it is also very helpful!

Maybe, this site can give bc, hough, and drewpy some free parts or something for making more video tutorials :-D I'd be willing to donate some $ because the time saved and wisdom gained has been priceless!

I am not necessarily a beginner, this is my first post on this forum, but I am new to Yamaha XS400. I am helping a friend restore(we hope) a '78. Bike is mostly complete and in fair shape. I have a lot of experience putting old bikes back in service but with Hondas. I am trying to clean the carbs on the "78 XS400E. The carbs seem fairly simple but I can not get the left side slide out of the carb body. The right side came out very easy but the left side seems to be hitting something. Also the manual says the wheels are not designed for tubeless tires, is that so??? Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks for the tutorial bcware! Is anyone aware of any changes they may have made to the air-filter side of the carbs up to 1982? I'm trying to pair this video with Houghmade's 5 step writeup but don't want to spray carb cleaner into the wrong hole and get a false negative on a clean passage, or worse -- melt some plastic in a hard-to-reach location.

Thanks to your video I found that my emulsion tube had a nice varnish scab on the outside of it. LOL

As my buddy and I were watching the video when it fell out we both looked at each other and said "what the hell was that thing" Paused it and had to go tap it out it was stuck good.:doh:

carb2o.jpg

I actually have access to an HD camera now; If I make more videos they won't be nearly as poopy! These were shot with a laptop webcam haha.

Back