choke issue

kevingkruse

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Ok, so I was having some problems with my carb, it would only run good on full enrichment, on half it barely wants to stay alive and sputters, and no enrichment, it dies or sputters a lot if I'm all the way on the throttle. I've taken the carbs apart and cleaned them multiple times but have never taken fully apart and boiled them, so I gave that a shot yesterday, boiled them in 1/4 part white distilled vinegar and 3/4 water for about 2 hours. I sprayed them after with carb cleaner and compressed air, put them back together and everything looked fine upon reassembling. Started it up and now it runs ok on no enrichment, but rpms go up to ~4k on half and dies on full. Also, rpms will hang every long once in a while. I have F/A needles at 3 1/2 turns and bench synced carbs, both are even with each other. Carb manifolds are new, no cracks. The only thing I need to replace are my filters, they are starting to fall apart. I haven't adjusted my valves yet also, would valves be involved with these issues I'm having?

Definitely get the valve clearance adjusted if it hasn't been done and you will know then. Unless the weather is cold you wouldn't need enrichener fully out. Check spark plug color after a hard ride to make sure mixture is right. Rpm's hanging might be for several reasons, possibly carb slide not lowering smoothly, air leak, etc. As for choke positions I will use both hands to carefully adjust the choke to anywhere between position, not just half and full out.

Back