83 xs400 Maxim Build

83xs400

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well a couple weeks ago i bout myself another bike 83 xs400 Maxim Build.
My plans are to turn it into a bobber over the winter to keep me busy with these great canadian winters:banghead:
Anyways ive started to take it apart, and now that i have ive realized how easy this build should be. Here are some pics of what ive done so far ( not much but its just mach up for now )
The last picture on this post is of another forum members bike and it is what i am going for frame wise and what i want to use for a battery box since ive already got an ammo box at home.
My updates on this bike are not going to every week but i hope to learn lots and get ideas as i go.

Attachments

• Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 683
  • Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    295 KB · Views: 996
  • Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 649
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 602
  • Picture 013.jpg
    Picture 013.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 675
  • Picture 010.jpg
    Picture 010.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 592
  • Picture 009.jpg
    Picture 009.jpg
    299.8 KB · Views: 692
  • Picture 007.jpg
    Picture 007.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 572
Have you ever heard of people switching there controls over to 1" bars.
i plan on buying a new throttle assy. and honing out the clucth and brake lever to 1" as well. light controls and start button are going to mounted elsewhere for cleaner look.
I have 1" Z bars and risers already from previous project is why i want to do this...

Some pictures of Minimal Update but better then nothing.
The seat that is on the bike is just a left over from another project but its not the one im using. and the tank is off a kawi but it doesnt quite fit yet but i like the looks of it.

Attachments

• Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 638
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    288.7 KB · Views: 609
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 494
  • Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 612
Got my tank all done with some help from the guys at work, but i think it will look great when its all painted up and smoothed out.
obviously i need lots of practice:laugh: with welding but theres no structual weldling that needs to be done so i think it will do for a battery box:thumbsup:
Also need to build a cover for this to keep the weather out but ive got all winter so no rush

Attachments

• batterybox (1).jpg
    batterybox (1).jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 481
  • tank6.jpg
    tank6.jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 474
  • tank7.jpg
    tank7.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 438
  • tank8.jpg
    tank8.jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 455
Dave - cost me about 10$ to do the sightglass ( lowbrow charges 36 for the same thing )

SK8 - thanks, i know for a fact its a Kawi tank but i think its a 454 LTD tank, just not sure what year

i dig it. and are you eventually going to hardtail it?

im not using that as a battery box anymore, shape isnt right for the frame.

i like the direction your going and especially like your bars.

Thanks,

Id like to hardtail it but you can legally cut off the back of the frame here and weld your own on:wtf:. You can change the swingarm, however you can put a solid strut in like i did....doesnt make any sense but it still looks decent:bike:. Yea the bars are Biltwell Frisco Bars i got for 50$ at a bike show this summer.

lol, i dont know anything about them either. my first XS so havent a clue. might be something to do in the future if i can find the right rims. Just a budget build right now.
Im at 800 $ so far and that includes the cost of the bike

Ok, well not much has happened to speak of. I got a different seat for 20$ including springs, sanded the tank down( i think i might just try to clear the bare metal) and i finally mounted a rear fender.:thumbsup: just got some cleaning up to do and then tear it apart to paint it and make some spring mounts for the springs.
what do you think ???

Attachments

• fender.jpg
    fender.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 600
Hey Cool job, Looks good

Is that front tire on backwards? Beyond it being flat, but I think the groves are suppose to push the water out of the center of the tire?

Tobie (I am looking into tires, could be my ADD, with a little OCD) take care

Last edited:
cleared tank will look wicked. I use that 2 pack where you have to break a seal underneath. sets hard as rock. be careful it contains cyanide and really needs an air supply and filtered exhaust

Back