83 xs400 Maxim Build

I don't know how I missed this thread - you've done some great work fast (much faster than my build...)

What did you use as a rear fender? I'm running with no fender right now, but keep thinking it would be nice to have something back there to protect me from kicking up gravel and crap onto the rider...

Thanks Guys, The bike is at a standstill right now since i had move on the weekend to get out of the house i was in. Now i have no garage to work out of and its been -10 and colder for a while now. Hopefully it is still done by spring.

I got the Fender off a dude that builds bobbers about 2 hours away from me.
Im guessing it is off harley but i dont what model...
I have run no rear fender before and it didnt bother me untill i was in the rain and i was completly soaked front and rear.

Some new pics, not much different then last but seat is mounted solid now.
I think i need to make a rear fender a little longer, what do you think ?

Attachments

• $T2eC16hHJG8E9nyfp-L(BQ9r!YfMWQ~~48_20.jpg
    $T2eC16hHJG8E9nyfp-L(BQ9r!YfMWQ~~48_20.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 447
Well i finally got some more done on my bike, and found a place to keep my bike and work on it....MY WORK lol:doh:...
I lost a part that is discontinued too which im not to happy about:banghead:

Attachments

• collar.JPG
    collar.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 355
  • headlight.jpg
    headlight.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 410
My opinion on the fender is a little longer would look better, but that just me. I like the build coming along nicely.

Ive got the fender longer now, i think it looks much better. i wraped my exhaust the other day and finished that off. Bikes really starting to come together. I should have a good picture update this weekend.
I wish this thing had a kick start, i could ilminate a few more things off the bike to lighten it up since im not getting any lighter.

I dont know if you can notice a difference or not but the fender is a lil longer.
New tires and probly paint the rims next week

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 399
Just look around for that collar it is on many models ebay may have it seeing many of these guys are stripping these bikes down to sell piece by piece. they are making five to six times more this way than selling the bike whole. a broken down maxim is only worth 250 dollars but piece it out and you can make 3000 dollars.

It is a shame they do this is drives up the cost of restoration beyond any sell able price. I spent over 1000 dollars on parts for mine plus labor and it NADA book costs and I have more into my bike than the bike is valued at one the Market.

bike is looking tuff man.really nice little build you got going on.i just picked an 83 400 maxim the other day that im gonna dick around with and your build is giving me some nice ideas.thing is i dont have a shop up where im working right now, which sucks, so its going to take me awhile.lookin good tho bud:thumbsup:

Back