18" spoke rear wheel

Spad

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
My 1981 XS400 has a 16" spoke rear wheel with drum brakes, I would like to convert to an 18" rear spoke wheel with drum brakes. Is there a stock 18" Yamaha spoke wheel with drum brakes that was on some other model? I am starting my Café project...:bike:Thanks, Spad

Thanks drewpy, almost starting to think better off with the 16", have to do more research on the rim width available on the 18" plus the offset..Spad

The 78 2-E and the 79 2-F xs400 also used a 18" spoked rear drum wheel.

Something somewhere I recall about the rear sprocket is offset on the 16" wheel to account for the wider tire....I just realized it was on one of xschris' posts...Onward and thanks for the input, will be checking out the XS360 and the 78 & 79 models. You guys are a wealth of knowledge and much appreciated..Spad

Looking at the XS360 rear wheels the rim width is 1.85" which is pretty narrow...Limits the rear tire choices...I wonder what the 78&79 XS400 model 18" wheel rim width is..Have to try and find it..Spad

Thank you very much xschris....So far my limited research doesn't show much of a good rear tire variety with that small a rim width. This having the internet to do research is pure bliss compared to the old days of going from tire shop to tire shop and comparing rubber...Spad

xschris, looks like on your wire wheeled xs you have a Dunlop on the rear, what size and model tire? Very nice album and good looking bikes....Spad

The XS650 use a 2.15 x 18 rear spoke wheel. Early had steel rims. The mid years had the shouldered aluminum rims.
Leo

Back