18" spoked rear wheel with drum brake

iaregenius

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, I have 16" rear but I'm thinking I may want to run 18" front and back. What do I need to consider and what wheels are available to someone in the US?

P.S. I'm looking specifically for a drum brake/ spoked wheel. I think maybe the '79 had one?

Last edited:
I did the same on my 81 Special II. What I did was go to this old shop called Wheel Works (not the chain store) in Hayward here in CA and got an NOS rim from the Chris the owner, I cant remember the manufacturer but it wasn't a Yamaha rim but it looks very similar. He got me a set of spokes and I took apart the old wheel and laced up the new rim. I then had him true and tighten the spokes for me when I was done. Take lots of reference pics if you go this route!! You could call him and get some advice if you wanted, he's really awesome, has tons of crazy stories and gives you tons of great info, The first time I called to ask him his advice, we talked for over an hour! Can't say enough about this guy... (510) 785-4396

but, yeah I think the 78 and 79 had an 18" but they had disc hubs. that was my problem too...

you could find a '78 or '79 18" disc hub wheel and get spokes and nipples sized correctly for your existing 16" wheel drum hub and lace it to the 18" rim....

you could find a '78 or '79 18" disc hub wheel and get spokes and nipples sized correctly for your existing 16" wheel drum hub and lace it to the 18" rim....

If I'm not mistaken i think some of the 78-79's came with wired/spoked drum brake rears. I'm kinda hoping to find one of those.

If I'm not mistaken i think some of the 78-79's came with wired/spoked drum brake rears. I'm kinda hoping to find one of those.

I know the '79 2F had 18" spokes and drums. I assume the "economy" model in '78 had them too. It will just take some looking. By the way, a factory spoked disk is at least rare and may never have been brought into the U.S. There should be 18" spoked drum wheels out there.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yama...torcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_4057wt_855

I think this may be one.

I know the '79 2F had 18" spokes and drums. I assume the "economy" model in '78 had them too. It will just take some looking. By the way, a factory spoked disk is at least rare and may never have been brought into the U.S. There should be 18" spoked drum wheels out there.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yama...torcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_4057wt_855

I think this may be one.

I'm actually watching that ebay sale and hoping it doesn't sell before Friday (payday). :D

After I get the 18" rear sorted out I have to find an 18" spoked disc wheel for the front so i can start my sport bike rotor/caliper project.

Back