1977 yamaha xs360

l4ne4

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Starting a new project...

Not sure which direction I am going yet but I think this is a good start. xs360 all stock with 6200 miles. New headgasket, tires, carbs already rebuilt, electric start added. Needs the tank cleaned, rusty!

Attachments

• xs360.jpg
    xs360.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 2,760
Last edited:
Keep it original. These bikes are more rare than the xs400 and only like 3k where made for the U.S. market.

That was my main plan. Won't do anything that can't be in done .

Have to get it started first. Sounds like its not getting any fuel but I will have more time tomorrow to figure it out.

I think I will. I can't even find a parts bike around here. I might need a new tank, we'll see after I try and clean the tank.

Put a clear inline fuel filter on it then you will know if its getting fuel or not.I love them cause you can tell if its no fuel or spark issues.

I have the filter. The petcock is clogged and that why I was not getting fuel.

Wonder how that happened....

IMG_20130415_192003_zps87937324.jpg

Anyone ever clean a tank this bad? I'm going to let it sit in vinegar tomorrow.

I havent a clue on how thin the steel is that you have left but I think with all the time you'd have to put into it you'd likely get a little time out of it. The thing is would it be worth the time and expense? A Kreem system is about $60.00 plus a couple days for prep. Also no telling if you'd still find rust flakes finding their way thru. Think I'd be watchful for a tank somewhere.

Really not sure. I'll see what the vinegar leaves behind. I have been looking for a tank, anyone find one please let me know!

Thanks for the link. I am going to try vinegar tonight. If it doesnt work I will be looking for a tank.

Here it is after a few days in vinegar.

IMG_20130420_124817_zps7d03a375.jpg

Looks like that rust was just a thin layer, but covered the whole tank. I refilled it with vinegar and next I'll figure out how to get the rest of the rust out.

Add vinegar.

Add bbs or random metal hardware.

Shake.

Rinse with fuel once it's clean.

I am going to do exactly that. I was thinking about taking it to a pressure washer too, the remaining rust flaked off without much pressure. Figured the pressure washer would take care of a lot of it.

Just a thought put Stainless steel shot you can get from a Sporting goods store and some oil. Build your self a type of rotissery and let it roll Lind of like a rock polisher. You'd probably have to reposition it a few times to hit all corners but it sure would beat shakeing for hours.

I think that's why people put them in the dryer. I am pretty sure the pressure washer will get most of it. If not I'll try the dryer.

Back