1977 yamaha xs360

Got the "new" tank and put everything together. Still not getting fuel. Can I get away with taking the petcock apart and cleaning it or do I need to rebuild it?

Very minimal fuel is coming out of it into the filter.

When I took my petcock apart I had to be very careful with the diaframs. There is also a small Oring on the tip of the valve. Mine had some material from the Oring stuck to the valve seat. This would allow some fuel to flow without vacuum on the valve. Have you tried to use the Prime position? I know this is redundant but I had to ask. I think you just might want to get a kit for it eventually.

Petcock is clean and working properly.

Now it starts and will not rev above 1500 rpm. Will not idle either.

There are applications for an engine that operates at a constant speed. Not in this application. I'd start with carbs again. Sounds to me that you've got goop in some of the passages. Most likely the needle jet This jet I think operates your midrange also be sure to clean your Idle circuit. The passages are quite tiny and the smallest debris will clog them. Second I'd look at your ignition. Likely your advance mechanism might be frozen. There are small weights and springs that act on the ignition cam. If they freeze you'd be running with fully retarded ignition. This is usually only good for starting. ai had this issue with our 71 Monte Carlo.

Finished cleaning the carbs today. The float bowls are noticeably at different levels. Will measure and correct tomorrow.

Pulled the spark plugs which are at completely different gap settings...

IMG_20130503_114315_zps1efb02a7.jpg

Also pulled the points cover, the screw that the screw driver is pointing to was completely loose.

IMG_20130503_105908_zps2445b6d8.jpg

I will be checking and fixing all of the above tomorrow!

I believe your ok, the red power wire is supposed to be there. the grey and orange braided one go to your points and I believe the rest go into your capacitor. that's what mine looks like anyway

Good to know. Ill order them soon.

Anyone know where I can get a replacement idle mixture needle? I think the ones on mikes are different.

it is in good shape, I have the same bike, it is pretty rough, but might have some parts if you get in need.

it is in good shape, I have the same bike, it is pretty rough, but might have some parts if you get in need.

So far all I need are good points and coils (Ill buy new ones) and that Idle mixture needle.

Cant get the points adjusted. When it is at the LF mark, and when the test light is on the left point, the light is on no matter how I adjust the point. The light is also on way before the LF mark and way after it. The light is also on when I touch it to the right side...

Good to know. Ill order them soon.

Anyone know where I can get a replacement idle mixture needle? I think the ones on mikes are different.

I got my new idle screws from www.siriusconinc.com they have them in a kit for the 400 that comes with jets, the jets wont help much but the new needle, seat, gasket and screws could be used.

Back