1978 Front Brake Conversion For A Newb

Jaytee1977

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow riders. I just bought my first project bike and cant wait to get this thing on the road. This is also my first time on a Forum as well so be kind. I have been doing some research and cant seem to figure out what is the easiest way to do a front Disc conversion to get rid of my drum brakes. I would like to take this on the track to race with my Girlfriends Triumph but worry about my braking. It looks like the front forks need to be swapped out, but I am not sure if the rotor will just mount somehow to my front wheel or not. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am a mechanic by trade but classics like this bike are new to me.

You need a disk brake front wheel. The drum brake wheels will not take a disk. Also, while I have heard of XS250 wire wheels with disks, I hear they are rare (specially in the U.S.). Therefore, you's have to switch to alloys. Would you plan on switching the rear brake too? I've heard that the drum brakes can be made to work well, but you're probably right to be concerned about track use- they would probably be more likely to fade faster.

In addition to the right fork leg and wheel, you would need the frot brake lever with master cylinder.

Last edited:
Thanks HoughMade. I did not know if the front wheel was adaptable. I have heard that they did a switch half way through the year installing more discs than drum. I think I will be ok with just the disc in the front. I have wire wheels right now but hope I can find a wheel that will work for me. I guess I would just have to get the Master Cylinder from the same model and the hose but as far as Im concerned that is a easier thing that then wheel swap.

Back