1978 Yamaha XS400

Welcome, Well you have a bike and you found this web site. I would say your off to a good start, lots of inspiration to be found here.

Does the Xs run?

Last edited:
First of all thanks for the welcome.

I purchased it from a friend, who bought it about 6 months ago with plans of making it a cafe bike as well. When he purchased it, it ran. He paid $600. Since it isn't running now, and he moved out of state, storing it in my parent's garage, I just paid $275. I'm somewhat mechanical, but this is going to be my first real foray into working on a motorcycle (hence the major of investment of $275, haha). I've got my dad who can help me with the electrical aspects.

With that being said, I guess I'll pose my first few of what will probably turn into many q uestions.

My first concern is getting the bike running and making sure it's mechanically sound. I was thinking about taking the mufflers off and going straight pipe. Should I go ahead and do this modification before I have the carbs adjusted. Also, should I definitely consider heat wrap on headers? Finally, is the carb cleaning/adjustment something I could attempt on my own. As I said, it ran a few months ago, so in my head it could be as easy as pulling the carbs and cleaning them. If it ran, I should be able to clean and return everything to where it is, right?

I apologize for the long post. Thank you in advance for your answers.

Welcome!
First of all get a service manual or download one frome here. It will answer most of your questions on how a stock bike operates.
Good idea on geting it running first. You can do the cosmetic stuff later.
Don't take the mufflers off yet. You can fiddle with that after it is running. I don't like straight pipes. You should have some backpressure for it to run properly. If you take the mufflers off and add pod style air filters you will have to rejet the carbs. Again, best fiddled with after you know everything elese is running properly.
Header wrap is mostly cosmetic. It won't affect how it runs.
Yes you should try to cleen your own carbs. It is the only way you will learn. Plus it will be less of a mystery when you have to go back in to rejet. Just remember to count how many turns your pilot jet is turned out and compare to the service manual. Disassemble / clean / reassemble the way it came apart. It will be fun and you will be happy you did it.:thumbsup:

Thought I'd post something up showing everyone what I'm working with.

Here it is!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Well I cleaned the carbs, reinstalled, and I am trying to get her running. Having trouble figuring out why I'm not getting spark. I posted it up in the electrical section, since I'm hoping to trouble shoot it before dropping it off at the shop.

Here is a link to the thread: http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7460

I also went ahead and started stripping her down. Lots of work to do.

Thinking about a 2 into 1 exhaust once I confirm that she'll run.

Stripped-Down.jpg

Well, I went ahead and placed some orders online - amazing what you can find on Ebay and I also utilized Mike's XS.

I ordered points, a condenser, two coils, spark wires, boots, intake mounts and some pod filters. Hopefully after all of this stuff is put on, we'll be able to get it running.

In the meantime, it's off to the store to get some steel to make my rear loop so I can start mocking up a seat pan.

Does anyone have any resources on placing the battery for a cafe bike? My first instinct was to tuck it up in the seat. Ideas welcome.

Thanks,

Nick

Hey nice bike, I have the exact same one. This is unrelated and a shot in the dark, but your user-name made me think of it. Do you remember an old BMX vhs tape called Soil? I had it when I was about 12 when I used to race BMX bikes. I've been searching for it for years, I think Ryan Nyquist made it.

Hey nice bike, I have the exact same one. This is unrelated and a shot in the dark, but your user-name made me think of it. Do you remember an old BMX vhs tape called Soil? I had it when I was about 12 when I used to race BMX bikes. I've been searching for it for years, I think Ryan Nyquist made it.

I'm more of a BMX race guy. I've been racing anything between locals and nationals since about 2002. I ride skateparks a little, but Nyquist was kinda before I was really into it much.

Welcome!
Yes you should try to cleen your own carbs. It is the only way you will learn. Plus it will be less of a mystery when you have to go back in to rejet. Just remember to count how many turns your pilot jet is turned out and compare to the service manual. Disassemble / clean / reassemble the way it came apart. It will be fun and you will be happy you did it.:thumbsup:

Totally agree with all that :thumbsup: Seemed intimidating at first then when the 2 carbs are apart, half as intimidating :) Lots of good threads on how to best clean them. You WILL be happy you did it and you will know what is in there and much less of a mystery, agree. Good luck on project and welcome! Although I didn't mind the overall look of the bike in the first pics, HA :shrug:

Totally agree with all that :thumbsup: Seemed intimidating at first then when the 2 carbs are apart, half as intimidating :) Lots of good threads on how to best clean them. You WILL be happy you did it and you will know what is in there and much less of a mystery, agree. Good luck on project and welcome! Although I didn't mind the overall look of the bike in the first pics, HA :shrug:

They're all cleaned up. Hoping the new ignition parts I ordered give me spark. I know I had at least one bad coil. I hate chasing electrical problems.

The bike was rougher than the pictures led on and I've always wanted to try the cafe deal. We'll see how it goes.

start a new thread and introduce yourself and tell us about your bike, year and model. Upload a few pictures, everyone likes pictures, and can help ID bike easier.

Some reason your pics aren't showing up on my end.Good luck with your bike and I hope you figure out the electrical problems.Ive been having a ton myself.

Back