1979 dt125?

BLAZE2099

XS400 Member
Reaction score
So I have been looking high and low for a decent XS360/400 to build. However, I cant seem to find one close enough for the cost I want to be spending.
A guy at work wants to unload his 1979 dt125 in great running condition for just $500. Do you guys think I'm crazy for wanting to start this project (bobber)? I understand its an enduro, but I am going to want to change most of the bike out any way. So would it really be too far off to try and do to that what I would do to an XS?
Or is that platform just way too far off from something within reason? I used to have a stock xs360 that I built back to stock and loved it. But this is my first journey into cutting and welding the bike that's one of a kind for me. Not looking for power at all, just want to ride here and there.

Thanks for any input you guys may have:)
....................CHEERS!!! :thumbsup:

1. it's a 2 stroke which means it's a lot harder to do anything with the exhaust system without really screwing it up
2. kind of small for any serious road work
IMHO a small ring-ding would not be a good choice for "but I am going to want to change most of the bike out any way" if you just want to ride it here and there keep it stock maybe street tires and up-geared (sprockets) that way if you want to sell it later it will be worth more as a enduro rather than a chopped up piece of ....

Agreed with jayel. A chopper would be only for the road for low RPM cruising. 2-strokes are for high-revving and off-roading. It's not fun to try to combine the two as you'll likely get a result you weren't looking for.
I think that turning it into a supermoto might be a little more of what you're looking for.

check out the last page of my build thread.
a have a 72 or 73 (dont really remember right now), 125 and im choppin the bitch for use as a pit bike. but thats different. just a thought

will do, at least its another way I can have fun with it. Glad I found a good bike forum, You guys are as helpful as the guys on my car forum that I daily.

If you need some parts,I've got some that you might need.PM me if you do.Just click on the name at left of this post. lha

Back