For Sale - 1979 XS400 - Stock

brockd

XS400 Newbie
Reaction score
Here's my story. Bought this from a guy in London, ON who assured me it'd just need new tires and it would safety no problem and would be good to ride. He used it as a daily rider for 5 years, took it to Tail of the Dragon, and loved it - just sold it to get a bigger bike.

Four months, two shops, and a bunch of money later I still can't figure it out. The carbs needed a good cleaning, new air jets (which aren't easy to track down), a new battery, a welded engine mounting bracket (which required the removal of the engine block), new air filters, two oil changes, a rebuilt fuel tap, and a whole bunch of tinkering later...
I've over doubled what I paid for it in shop fees and parts - $350 for tires, $90 for battery, all kinds of incidentals, plus labour and shop time.

Managed to get a good ride out of it 2 weeks ago before the temporary insurance sticker expired. Dropped it off at the shop to get safetied - and it passed - but it wouldn't start when we went to pick it up.

I'd like to hand it off to someone more bike-savvy than I or to someone who needs an XS for parts. I'm really just looking to recoup my hard costs for bike and parts.

I have a brand new Pirelli on the front and a Kenda on the back. A brand new Motomaster AGM battery too. It comes with original tool-kit, original Yamaha shop manual plus a Haynes manual, two keys, and I have a spare oil filter for it as well. The bars are original - just flipped and dropped down for a sportier stance on the bike.

Must be able to pick up from Mississauga, ON.

Thanks for looking.

$1200obo

Attachments

• BIKE 4.jpg
    BIKE 4.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 175
  • Bike 3.jpg
    Bike 3.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 151
  • BIKE 2.jpg
    BIKE 2.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 148