1980 Petcock Situation.. Anyone with a good lead?

t8erbug

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Skip this first paragraph if you don't want the backstory and only want to help me with my problems haha. My uncle gave me his 1980 XS400. I was beyond excited but am and have been working on my 79' GS750 for about 4 years now. As that project is nearing an end and as I've collected several other bikes I've started to think more about my XS400. I acquired it with the tank freshly repainted, the wrong fuel petcock, and the carbs taken apart in a box. I assembled the carbs and a friend and I cleaned the crap out of them. Apparently the only problem my uncle had with the bike was that it was leaking fuel. Stuck float right? Right. We got in there and polished the float shafts and every other little thing we could find. I took the freshly cleaned carbs to the bike, fitted them, and got the bike running!! First time I've heard the little bugger run since I've owned it. Now all I want to do is ride the thing.

SO, that brings me to the necessities. I started the bike using what we'll just call an "auxilary fuel supply" (A bottle with some fuel hose). Now that I know it runs at least on one cylinder (I took one of the carb manifolds off and fudged up the gasket so I'm 95% sure that's why it's not firing on both cylinders) I want to get it road worthy and operating as intended. I've already ordered new manifold gaskets but now I need a good petcock but am unsure of what I can use. Could I use the non-vacuum type from an xs650 like this https://www.mikesxs.net/parts/yamaha-xs650-petcock-non-vacuum-type-oem-447-24500-02-00

Back