1980 XS400 Idle mixture air screws

Fentible

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
After all attempts to remove the seized and head-chewed examples that were living in my carbs had failed, I realised that the only way they were coming out was via the drill and extractor method. As they aren't exactly accessible this was going to be tricky.

So yesterday afternoon I plucked up the courage, mounted the carbs into my vice, fitted the 2.5mm bit into my drill, lined it up as centrally as I could and squeezed the trigger. Starting at very low speed until the drill bit into the head, I then drilled down exactly 5mm, managing to keep it dead central. I had previously soaked both screw heads with copious amounts of anti-seize fluid

I started with the small 2-6mm extractor, winding it in until it started creaking and from experience the point at which these tend to snap. So I wound it back out and used the bigger 4-7 mm extractor. I used a bit of heat and eventually the screw gave up its hold and backed out.

Flushed with success I was a little more careless with the second one and managed to drill it slightly off centre. The result was that the head of the screw broke off from the tapered section :doh: although it was simply a case of inverting the carb and tapping the broken part out.

I know that the far one looks undamaged but it is.

I was all set to buy the new parts from Mikes XS until I discovered that shipping to he UK was a staggering $40 (USPS Priority International) :yikes:. Call me churlish but when a small package can be sent to the UK for $6.55 (USPS First class) I start to question things. I have emailed Mikes to see if they will ship at the cheaper rate. However I'm sure I've asked this before from US firms and they will only ship priority international.

I've also checked CSMNL but their parts are significantly more expensive and even with cheaper shipping the end deal is more expensive than Mikes total of $62 so I might be stuck paying the expensive shipping charge.

In any event I'm hoping that being able to actually adjust them now will help the current running problems .

Cheers

Fent

International shipping is a step beyond highway robbery.
If you're going to pay that dearly, I'd be sure to fill the package with at least four of everything I needed, and a few things I didn't.
Nice job on the extraction. Most end up drilling through the side of the Zamack casting.

I feel that pain man, i had to remove a broken tip a couple weeks ago as well. It was a long painstaking process. I would love to never have to do it again. I also then had to find a new mixture screw, which my local Yamaha dealer ordered for me, i think it was 20$ ish, which is a bit more then everwhere online, but i didn't have to pay shipping so i saved about 10$ on that..

Try calling local Yamaha dealers (mines sells bikes, mostly dirt bikes and ATVs).

Cheers Guys. Yamaguy, ordering more items to make the shipping charge worthwhile is an interesting option. I don't really need anything else but I may try a call out to any UK owners to see if they need anything and share the shipping charge.

However I'm still waiting for a reply to my request from Mikes XS

Carb parts don't weigh much, and you can cram a lot of them into a small box. A group buy is the way to go if you have to pay big shipping fees. You could stock up for the next overhaul, which will happen sooner or later.

Got a reply from Mikes XS, will only do Priority international for guaranteed delivery. I suppose I can understand their point, still can't bring myself to pay $40 shipping for $22 worth of parts. So will try to see if any UK guys are ordering from them and if they are willing to share delivery costs.

Back