1980 xs400 won't start, no dash lights

camoky

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I've got a 1980 xs400 that was sitting at a friends for the last three yrs (his intention was to fix it up....never did so I took it back). anyways I pulled the carbs (they were nasty) and cleaned and rebuilt, with new jets all around, new battery, first oil change since I bought it 10 yrs ago, replaced the starter reley/solenoid, and the ignition key/fork lock with original (it had a universal ignition switch from the original owner........it went start. no lights when you turn the key (like the neutral indicator light) I can use a remote starter switch and it will turn over but nothing else. anybody got any ideas where my issue could be?

It sounds like a ground. It’s a black wire and the joints were crimped. It’s thin. The indicator wires are light blue and red/black. The ground comes from near the battery area where like 4 black wires join at a crimp. I soldered all of these crimp locations. I would also check the connections at the back of the ignition switch. If you aren’t grounded, you won’t start.

Welcome,

Check the fuses. The original fuse box had glass fuses and not the best holders. The fuse holders are weak and break easily and need to be very clean.

What is this remote starter you mention?

What is this remote starter you mention?

just 2 thick cables with alligator clips and a momentary switch tie then together. clip one alligator on the positive of the battery and the other on the starter cable AFTER the starter solenoid. push the button and your starter turns, bypassing anything else. great way to check for spark before I got the ignition switch replaced and got the key for it.

I'm pulling all the fuses and taking some sandpaper to the contacts tonight. I found a four slot blade fuse holder on ebay for a couple bucks and I'm going to upgrade to automotive style blade fuses

I also replaced my fuse box with a mini blade fuse box. Jumping the starter like that will pretty much never not work. I had the same problem with my original fuse box and was baffled at the time because everything looked clean. I removed a fuse, and the holder pretty much disintegrated.

well I cleaned the fuse holder up with an Emery board, couldn't find any sandpaper around the house BUT I've got a taillight working! now to just keep tracing the wire i guess and look for breaks or grounding out i guess?

It takes maybe a half hour to re solder the 8 wires to the panel. You should remove the harness and slice it open and re solder the joints. You disconnect at the lights, battery, solenoid, two sets of wires going to the engine plus a ground and starter wire. Take off tank and seat and drag it out. Few connections up front but it’s not much. Check the back of your ignition too.

Back