1980G Rattle noise from Starter

I printed out this whole long post, sat back and waited, and no answers. Then I spotted the how-to post, about removing the alternator and it gave me all the info I needed! Tried to delete and I couldn't.

I looked thru my stuff here and don't have any more grommets that are any good. I still can't believe I just threw the tracking info in the last trash pickup, I have never had this happen. Hopefully the package will show up, all torn and shit from being misplaced. I just had that happen with fuel filters. They were mailed about 100 miles from me and took 2 weeks from the shipped date. I am truly sorry.

I was finally able to break loose the rotor and clutch, it was stuck big time! Surprisingly, none of the components came out when I pulled the rotor off. Inspection of the components proved that there was a decent amount of corrosion, probably from sitting outside for years, and the weights and springs were hummed up. I took 000 steel wool and some Emory cloth to the corrosion and used degreaser on the rest. I cleaned up everything and reassembled it. I hit the starter and it cranked strong and didn't cut out or rattle. The chain tension even seemed better when I put it back together although the guide track had a deep groove worn in it. I am hoping that it is cured but I am the epitome of a cynic when it comes to these things. I didn't open the starter motor as I had no parts and the bike has under 13000 miles on it. Hope for the best!!

Back