1981 xs400 build

boomer91

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello everyone be a member for a while now, finally decided to do a build thread on my 1981 xs400 cafe/bobber build. Hope you all enjoy!

When I first got it
IMG_0300_zps1366e50e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Took a few accessories off and put on some black drag bars
IMG_0433_zps2e4178ad.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Decided over the weekend I was going to do alittle frame chop and attempt to build a solo seat....

Rear frame chop
IMG_0577_zps8dde5789.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Base for custom seat
IMG_0579_zps1724f844.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0581_zps7f865f93.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Finished product. Really happy with how it turned out given the time frame and that I only paid $20 in supplies. License plate just zipped tied on until I get my plate bracket.
IMG_0584_zps6d485bf5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0583_zps15e77bf7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Oh yea, that's looking good.

Looks great with spokes and drum brakes. The cockpit is nice and clean without a master cylinder up there. Or much of a brake handle at all really. The black really makes it disappear.

If you don't have a use for your chrome fenders, do you want to sell them? Although, that's a lot of rear tire exposed.

Any more plans?

Thanks! I'm thinking about painting the wheels black, I think it give it that look im going for. Lol the brake handle is broken off alittle thats why it looks that way. As for the fenders I want to try to make a rear fender out of the front fender.

i have two new levers if you pm me i can send them to you for shipping cost. give me a email and ill send pictures.

Had to replace some leaking fork seals, so I decided to clean up the forks while I had em off...

Before
IMG_0628_zpsecb8a196.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

After about 2 days of cleaning
IMG_0653_zpsf6f64b94.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

hey couple questions boomer91....where did you get the handle bars for so cheap? what did you use to cut the frame? and finally how did you bolt the wood seat down?

Check E-bay for bars. 7/8inch is stock. To cut the frame you could use a hacksaw, Sawz-all or a right angle grinder with a cut-off wheel. Measure twice and cut once! Welcome to the forum Seymour! Tell us about you and the bike.

Yes pretty much what darkmidknightwarrior said, got the 7/8 bars off eBay, as forthwith seat I drilled two holes in the cross brace and just put wing nuts under to hold it in place. There is a video on YouTube that shows how to do it I'll try to find the link.

Back