1981 xs400 café project, need help with decisions

Lrodetis

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
I just bought my 1981 xs400 last week and I'm currently in the process if turning it into a cafe racer. Two questions, what would be the best chain to go with on a 17/37 front/rear sprocket set, and also should I go with clip on bars, or is there something that you would recommend over that?

Posted via Mobile

as for the chain, i got the tsubaki roller bearing chain for mine. the difference between the two was immediately noticeable. and as a plus the chain requires little to no maintenance b/c it has o-rings and bearings. and it wasnt to expensive. i picked it up from parts unlimited

as for the chain, i got the tsubaki roller bearing chain for mine. the difference between the two was immediately noticeable. and as a plus the chain requires little to no maintenance b/c it has o-rings and bearings. and it wasnt to expensive. i picked it up from parts unlimited

I just want to point out that o-ring chains still need lube. The o-rings will burn up if not lubricated. And any dirt will grind the sprockets and chain into rusty dust just as quickly as a standard chain.

I recommend DID chains - they are the best from what my research showed, and I have one on now and I'm very happy. Even new (when chains tend to stretch a little when 'wearing in') I haven't had to adjust it and it's been like 5k km since it's on :)

Thanks for all of the suggestions with the chain. I tried to include a picture with this but I'm not sure if it uploaded.

Posted via Mobile

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    288.5 KB · Views: 125
Back