1981 xs400 cafe repair/rebuild

adrian

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hola Amigos,

I recently purchased my first bike, an '81 XS400 back in October. The seller had purchased it from another dude that had cafe'd the bike out (frame mod, seat, stripped down some of the wiring/signals/electric start/fenders/pod filters.)

The seller had dropped the price in half from $1500 to $800 since the bike wouldn't start and he didn't know what was wrong with it. I negotiated him down to $700, since I couldn't test ride it and was taking his word that it had been running 2 months prior.

As far as the seller knew, the kickstart was broken (e-start had been cut out but starter motor was still in the bike.) He mentioned being able to jump the starter from the battery but hadn't done it in a while. I'm a pretty handy guy and have worked on cars before, so I figured it would be a pretty simple fix.

I got the bike back to my work from a friend with a pickup and the next day and tried to bump start it, thinking that would be the most logical way to kick it over. The bike almost kicked a few times and I ended up throwing a trickle charger on the battery, since it seemed weak. I let it charge over the weekend and was able to kick it over after a few tries! However, I did notice that the kickstart never sprung back into start position or sometimes you'd only get like half a kick on it.

So, the bike was at least running and I felt like I made out like a bandit, since it only seemed like a weak battery had been the only issue. The bike was running a little rough but I had expected that since it had been sitting for 2 months or so. The right side was running kinda weak and backfired in the carb a few times. I pulled the plugs and saw that the right side was a little oil fouled but not terribly bad. The plugs in it were upgraded from the stock setup, it was running BPR7EIX Iridium vs the BP7ES.

I tried running stock plugs at first but the bike would only run at normal idle with the choke wide open, instead of screaming. I swapped in some new Iridium plugs and the bike ran a little better than before, now backfiring a little out the right side exhaust. I still have to take the right side carb apart and give it a good cleaning, since it seems very sticky and any hesitation comes from that side.

I ordered a used kickstart off eBay before I popped the case open, thinking that maybe the spring was messed up or some teeth were chewed up on the original. Last weekend I opened it up and found the dreaded "broken journal" that I've been reading about on here. Needless to say, I was super bummed out. I forgot to mention that the e-start motor is also dead on the bike…

I wasn't able to find the bits of broken journal, which was concerning. I also rode the bike in the parking lot at work for about an hour before I knew about the journal issue. Here's to hoping that the transmission doesn't detonate!

This past Monday I was able to pick up a donor XS400 for $50 off Clist. At this point, I'm kind of at a cross-roads with what to pull from each bike. The donor bike only has 7500 miles and has been sitting for like 3 years. My other bike has like 43000 on the clock and journal bits floating around in it. The logical solution seems to be to just swap engines but if I find the journal pieces, I might just leave the engine be for at least a season.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading! I'll post up more pictures as this mess progresses.

http://instagram.com/p/urHbwNomeo/?modal=true (video of the bike idling)

Attachments

• IMG_4246.jpg
    IMG_4246.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 352
  • IMG_4188.jpg
    IMG_4188.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 377
  • IMG_4256.jpg
    IMG_4256.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 337
  • IMG_4144.jpg
    IMG_4144.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 317
Last edited:
Welcome! Sounds like you've got a solid handle on where to go from here, at least. If you've got the room I'd swap motors and just keep the extra around for spares. I've also heard tell of people swapping XS650 engines into these frames but I don't know what that would involve and whenever it comes up it's usually agreed that it's simpler to just build a 650.

Welcome to the forum:) Swap the motor and clean both the carbs:wink2: When the carbs are cleaned and adjusted sync them with a manometer. Get a set of uni filters for it. The emgo or pleated ones are crap and will not work/tune as well.

Welcome! Sounds like your off to a good start. i agree with everything xschris has said, although (personal preference on this one), I vote ride it until the season ends, while trying to get the parts bike to start up. No use swapping an engine till you know its gonna be ok, especially one thats been sitting. Or tear apart both motors and use the best parts of the two. Something tells me 43k on a set of pistons might show some wear. Tis the building season, dependent on your budget/time/abilities etc....

also, did you check the sump area under the bike for the journal? the strange thing is when mine was broken, i blew apart my engine to rebuilid it, and never found that piece of it. maybe its been removed, ya never know.

@volcomskater77 Thanks for the tip! I'll check out the sump and see if I get lucky. @xchris Thanks for the filter advice. It's got some generic pod filters on it right now.

Not too much news to report on here. I pulled the sump plate and rooted around the case for the journal again, to no avail. There were some metal shavings in the screen and a few near the journal but nothing to show that the whole piece got chewed up.

I'm looking for a garage to rent to hopefully swap the engines/continue work on both bikes. For now I've just been working on the cafe, which I'm storing at work in our boiler room (basically no room to work on it.) I'll update more as this progresses:bike:

Attachments

• sump-oil screen.jpg
    sump-oil screen.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 288
  • screen-sump plate.jpg
    screen-sump plate.jpg
    333.2 KB · Views: 309
  • oil sump.jpg
    oil sump.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 289
Make totally sure that you reinstall the screen pointing the right way, it has an arrow etched on it. Putting it in backward can cause problems.

Short update from yesterday. I put the clutch side cover back on with a new gasket, reinstalled the kickstart (won't be using) and attempted to change out the oil filter but the bolt is stripped badly. I was planning on checking out the points but one of the screws for the cover was fighting me and I didn't want to strip it out. I'll hopefully adjust the valves on the next work session.

I did find some more bad news, though. My bars look pretty tweaked out. I hadn't had the bike on the center stand until last week and I just noticed last night how off the bars are. I checked out some other threads and hopefully I can loosen up the clamps and readjust these. I took a picture of the parts bike for comparison and they are much straighter but there does seem to be a slight offset between left and right. If anyone has any insight on this one, let me know.

Attachments

• IMG_4358.jpg
    IMG_4358.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_4361.jpg
    IMG_4361.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_4353.jpg
    IMG_4353.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 307
The bike was probably dropped hard or crashed.

To figure out what is bent start measuring the distance of symmetrical points like the top of the fork on each side, then the handle bar clamp on each side, and pick a reference point like the outermost edge of the gas tank.

It could be the bars, the headlight assembly, the forks, etc.

My guess is that the forks are not in the trees straight. Put the front fender back on and that should line things up. If not start checking tubes and the trees/bars.

The bike was probably dropped hard or crashed.

To figure out what is bent start measuring the distance of symmetrical points like the top of the fork on each side, then the handle bar clamp on each side, and pick a reference point like the outermost edge of the gas tank.

It could be the bars, the headlight assembly, the forks, etc.

BC where have ya been? Good to see you back on:)

Hey Chris. Good to be here! School is life :( There are so many upgrades I want to do but alas, time is short! I will try to work a few in!

Thanks for the info on the bars @xchris and @bcware. I was able to get the bars a bit straighter by loosening one of the mounting nuts and twisting from the front with the tire between my legs (kinda like when your bars or neck would get tweaked on a bicycle.) I'll try the fender trick at some point too.

Pulled the carbs off and gave them a fairly thorough cleaning. Pulled the float bowls and some of the jets out. There was some crud in the bottom of the bowls, probably crap from old gas or deposits from over time. The screws on the top of the carbs are pretty stripped out, so I wasn't able to dig in from that side.

Got the cover off for the points and found an electronic ignition! Nice little plus there but I'm not sure if this one will work on the other motor (81 vs. 78.) The bolt for the oil filter is also stripped beyond belief. I saw some people have actually tack welded a wrench to it….hoping I don't need to go that far.

Attachments

• IMG_4369.jpg
    IMG_4369.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_4370.jpg
    IMG_4370.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_4363.jpg
    IMG_4363.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 268
Big update today! I worked on the bike for a few hours and got mad shiz accomplished:

UNI filters installed
Carbs re-installed
Pulled tank and sprayed on a flat clear coat
Adjusted valves (one intake and both exhaust were tight)
Removed stripped oil filter bolt (many thanks to the thread that mentioned putting tape around the head of the bolt, worked like a charm)
Installed new oil filter and gasket

I ordered a new filter bolt today and am waiting on some new fuel line to come in, then I can install the inline fuel filter too. Not too much left on my to do list:

reinstall rear brake lever and adjust play
reinstall foot pegs
swap speedos from parts bike (current one has a busted needle)
get new front tire/tube installed
possibly purchase and install turn signals
engine swap? (still have to bench test the parts bike motor)

Hoping to get her started up next week when the fuel line and filter bolt come in:bike:

Attachments

• IMG_4428.jpg
    IMG_4428.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_4431.jpg
    IMG_4431.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_4432.jpg
    IMG_4432.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_4430.jpg
    IMG_4430.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 285
  • IMG_4429.jpg
    IMG_4429.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_4418.jpg
    IMG_4418.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 289
Can you explain putting tape on the stripped filter bolt? I've got the same problem and it would save me a fair bit of trouble if a solution that isn't welding a nut on worked.

@levdir I was kind of shocked how well the tape worked. I used a small chunk of gaffers tape but I'm sure a pice of duct tape would work too. Just wrap the head of the bolt and basically crush the vice grips on it as tight as you can get. The tape provides and extra bit of grip...I was just chewing the bolt up with the vice grips alone. Good luck!

Got the new fuel line in today and put it in, along with the inline filter. I'm just waiting on the new oil filter bolt and I'll be able to start it up and see how she runs.

Attachments

• IMG_4439.jpg
    IMG_4439.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 306
  • IMG_4441.jpg
    IMG_4441.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 300
Back