1981 xs400, Cleaning carbs, advice on parts...

bornIIloose

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Finally pulled out my carbs to clean and rejet. The bike died on me a few times and was running terribly in the hot/humid Maryland weather.

I got everything apart without much aggravation, PO had removed brass plugs on the idle screws so that was a breeze to adjust. I ran some seafoam through the tank once or twice, so all in all they were not crazy dirty, but the jets need sizing up for open exhaust (PO cut out the internals).

My main question or concern here is whether or not i should replace the gaskets on the float bowls, and potentially the floats. The floats just aren't "shiny" or new looking, I don't know how important it would be for them to be renewed. The gaskets are also in pretty rough shape as you can see in the pictures.

The body of the carbs is pitted and dirty from just not being taken care of by the PO. Any worth in shining it up, other than looking better? Any suggestions for cleaning products for the outer body?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1482.JPG
    IMG_1482.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_1484.JPG
    IMG_1484.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 222
I would remove the floats because there is a screen under the float needle that are likely dirty. Remove the floats being careful not to break the post off the carb body that the pin goes through. Remove needle then remove the screw that holds it down and pull the screen assembly out and blow it out with air.

While you're at it you may as well take it apart completely and clean all the jets and passages.

I'd replace those gaskets as well. You can cut new ones out of a cereal box so you don't have to buy or order new ones.

No advantages to cleaning the outside. You could spray it with carb cleaner and use an old tooth brush or steel wool but good luck getting into all the crevices.

Back