Wanted - 1982 400 Maxim highway bars / crash bars / case guards in any condition. Have parts

tfish400

XS400 Member
Reaction score
The title says it all. I can't find these things anywhere. Hell, I can't even find a picture of them. I also have a few parts from that bike for sale for cheap including a nice tank, 4 turn signals in good shape, headlight, and some other stuff. Please help me find this elusive part and help me complete a bad ass brat bobber! :bike:

Pretty sure i've got what you need. I've got a forsale thread in here that has a picture of them. Mine are off an 81xs400S so i'm not sure if they're any different.

It bolts to the down tube then wraps around and the pegs mount to it... Correct?

That's the idea of what I'm looking for but unfortunately for me it's the wrong model. My 400 maxim doesn't have down tubes.

Damn. Mine's the DOHC xs400 Maxim. Technically it's an xj400, but is branded xs400j in North America. The engine hangs from the frame at the heads and the transmission so there's no downtubes to attach normal bars to. There are, however, 4 mounting holes on the engine itself that were meant for the bars.

The title says it all. I can't find these things anywhere. Hell, I can't even find a picture of them... :bike:
Not sure if this is what you're looking for a picture of, but this is what my Maxim has. I believe it was a factory built item since there are the threaded mounting holes right in the engine casing. It likely was a dealer installed option when bought new.
There were quite a lot of 400 Maxims sold in Canada - there are always ones for sale. On some sites more Maxims than SOHCs.
I would say about 1/3 to 1/2 of the ones I see have the same crash bar.

Attachments

• engine & bar.JPG
    engine & bar.JPG
    18.9 KB · Views: 704
  • Engine Bar.JPG
    Engine Bar.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 581
  • engine with bar.JPG
    engine with bar.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 568
... you wouldn't know the part number would you?
Not on me, no. But the sun will come up tomorrow and I would be pleased to go out to my new "workshop" and lie down on the nice new wooden floor and look up at it to see if there is a number on it anywhere.
If I don't post by tomorrow evening, it's because I forgot :shrug:, not because I changed my mind. So don't be too shy to :poke: .

Well AM-H, I forgot yesterday :shrug: but did remember today and was not able to see any markings on the bar itself. The 2 top mounts are attached via a single long bolt which passes through both holes and the engine block. That bolt did have some markings on its head. Maybe if that's a part number it can lead you to the bar itself.
The markings were "5BE 88".
Failing that, put a specific "want" in the want ads section here. I have read a couple of accounts of people not wanting these things on their bikes when they modify them. Someone is bound to turn one up. I'm glad I have it on mine - saved me a couple of times.

Back