1982 Maxim 400 Complete Tear Down and Rebuild

Hey man, it's coming along! Just out of curiosity, do you still have the old tank? I'm curious what it would look like mounted versus the Harley peanut one. Those spiffy forks you put on create a steep visual at the front and maybe the old tank would flow the eye differently... Just a thought. Glad to see you're still at it!

Thanks Sesty! I got the forks from the UK yea, I found some for a good deal and shipping wasn't too much more than anything from the states. I've got the old tank sitting around in my garage, thanks for the suggestion Moto, I'll check it out!

Just noticed I've got a few more pics here that I've yet to post, added custom machined bars, headlight and mount. I had to use the top triple tree from an RS125 Tuono, as it's already drilled and beefed up for risers. I'm in the middle of an engine rebuild at the moment, DynaGlide and Jeff0113 have already got some solid threads with plenty of engine pics and rebuild tips and whatnot, so I probably won't be posting any pictures/too much info on that. Definitely glad I'm doing the rebuild though, took the top end off and one of the pistons in the Seca engine was rusted to the cylinder! So as it stands now, I'm going to be rebuilding with the two engines I've got, painting and polishing the cases/head/covers and then throwing it back in the bike for an electrical overhaul. Lots of work to do still, but this is probably my favourite part of it.

3Ethmxb.jpg

Xl8aamsl.jpg
zYYA5MNl.jpg

mTlcrEK.jpg

Last edited:
Good luck with the engine rebuild, it is a learning experience (at least for me)...But sooo much fun, Enjoy it, really nice build you have there.

Been rebuilding the engine, got it all painted and pretty. Just waiting to get the cylinders back from the machine shop. I've noticed that since installing the starter motor that the engine will only turn over in one direction. When I turn it in gear, the drive shaft or whatever you might call it (shaft the drive spocket attatches on to) does turn the proper way. Just wondering if anyone out there knows if this is normal or not? Definitely hoping I don't have to split the cases again here. Thanks!

Last edited:
Looking at your pics...
Your pod Unis are mounted directly on the carbs....
Maybe mount those on the original stacks or make an h-pipe as per 16VGTIDave's thread
...will make for easier tuning.
Our carbs like laminar flow.
I built two of those with pods,one had the original rubber stacks and the other had the pods straight on the carbs, well...it ended up putting the stacks back on the one that didn'the have them cause I could't tune it.
Once I put the stacks on...tuned within minutes.

Wicked build. I'm actually starting to like the look of old cruiser style choppers, simply because I can enjoy the craftsmanship now that I'm working on my own bike.

Jeff, did you pull the rubber stacks from inside the airbox? I just got pods out of necessity because the rear shock I've got is too big for the airbox (off a xl650r) but that's just a convenient excuse because I want a stripped down bike anyways. I also got a jet kit from sigma 6 racing on ebay. They supposedly do all the tuning for you.

How's the build anyways, oops? I think these dohc's with the monoshock have a lot of hidden potential.

Back