1982 XS400j Maxim - Cafe Build

RDPics

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
So my coworker was given a 1982 XS400j Maxim, and it's been sitting on the side of the building for as long as I've worked here. I finally mentioned something about it, and he offered to sell it to me. We settled on $100. So far, it's the cheapest motorcycle I've ever owned. It's also one of the oldest I've owned...second to a sportster 883 with a 1250 conversion kit...but that's another story. Anyways, it's pretty rough, but off to a great start. Lots of oxidation and rust because we are right near the beach in Orange County, California, but lots of character as well.

Basically, he stripped all the BS off, welded up some drag bars, and lowered the shocks as much as possible. That's pretty much it. So I guess it's more of a cafe build than anything. I'm going to keep it going in that general direction, but am not opposed to heading in the Tracker direction if it makes sense financially...as I'm only $250 invested as of right now. I've ordered a couple parts to get things running properly and road ready...carburetor float gaskets, throttle cable, 2 individual pod style air filters to replace the clunky air box, fork oil seals, a Kenda challenger k657 120/90-16 rear tire...also got little excited at the so cal cycle swap meet yesterday and mistakenly purchased a front tire that is 1" too small....100/90-18...needs 100/90-19...D'OH!:doh::doh::doh::banghead::banghead::banghead::shrug: Gotta try and swap that mistake out, but I don't think it will be that hard since it's a brand new tire.

Figured I'd introduce myself, and give a little back to the thread, as this place has already helped me out with finding specific numbers (minus the front wheel mixup) and parts compatibility. Thanks to everyone for posting, it helps more than you know!

Best,

Ryan:D:thumbsup::bike:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 460
Last edited:
Welcome to the forum! Looks like a great project.

I think I've said it before but I'm always blown away by the $50-$100 bike stories from south of the border. There were a couple XS400s being sold up here, in slightly further along but similar incomplete-project condition, going for over $1500 ($1100 US).
I'm going on a car road trip down there soon. If only I had a truck I could pay for the trip by bringing a few bikes back.

Could probably fit one torn-down in the back seat of the car....

Any updates on the XS400J? I just bought one for 50 bucks but it was practiced on by a bunch of highschoolers... Mine came with a set of torn apart engine and one that was almost torn apart. Would like to see what you came up with yours and pick your brain on how you turned yours into a cafe (that is my plan on mine as well)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    205 KB · Views: 434
Hey I also have a MAxime but an 83! If you have other pictures of your on going projet or anything I would be interrested in seing them!

There's a Seca manual on the forum. Should be 99% the same for everything that counts.
Still no sign of a Maxim specific manual.

Back