1982 xs400j? (Newbie)

Ryan16Deguzman

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am a new member and I'm super stoked to find this forum. I just recently bought a 1982 XS400J (not sure but the serial says its 12R-00) for 50 bucks (with extra engine parts). The only downside is, it was from a highschool near me and it was gangbanged by a bunch of highschoolers. The teacher I bought it from says they managed to get the thing running but it needed the timing chain to make it work (he provided me with a new timing chain). Anyways, I don't wanna bore you guys with my sad story but this is my first bike and I am taking the engine apart to make sure that the kids did not mess it all up. I could tell that they taken apart the cabs, cylinder head (thank god they left the valves alone). They did not make it to breaking open the crankcase and that's what I'm planning on doing. I need to get the timing chain in and go from there. Does anyone have an online manual I could download for xs400j? Any advise will be greatly appreciated as well. I feel like I may have bitten more than I could chew with this project but for 50 bucks and a chance to learn something new, that is not too bad I think. I will be uploading some pics when I get a chance later after work. Thanks in advance

Here are some pics I took today

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    205 KB · Views: 323
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    195 KB · Views: 311
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    201 KB · Views: 358
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    166.4 KB · Views: 325
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    189.3 KB · Views: 323
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    192.2 KB · Views: 314
Hey Ryan, sweet bike couldn't look at many pictures, my internet is slow but looks like you have a nice project going here. If you haven't already found it there are manuals on this forum for the members to use, go to the garage section of the forums and should be located at the top of the list. Good luck

Thanks BD!!! I have looked around for the xs400j manual but I could not find any.... I guess I'm gonna have to dig deeper. I'm sure it will be there somewhere. I'll keep posting for any updates and progress I make for everyone.

If im not mistaken you would use the xs400rj manual, thats the bike I have the Seca, our bikes are very similar and should have the information your looking for.

Oh dude! Thanks for that info!!! You just made my life 100 times easier.... Now it makes sense!!! Like what I said, the bike was stripped down by bunch of kids and everything is all over the place.

I have an 82 seca parts bike if you need any additional parts it had 28,000 miles on her when I parked it, it has mostly been taken apart but some decent parts are left PM me if you need anything ill take a look and see if I have them or if it will work for your bike.

Ok that sounds like a plan.... I am looking at hopefully building the engine back together this weekend and put it on the bike to see if she at least a little life left on her. I will let you know if I need some parts.

Excellent, I also have a buddy that has on over bored engine for our bikes if interested I can get some more info on it for you.

Hi Ryan, there isn't a specific manual for tht DOHC maxim (like mine se profile pic, (running a 12R motor (5 speed))(Canadian imported to the UK England!) But the Seca manual covers about 98% of what you will need, to rebuild your Maxim!

Merlin

Big thing to remember on the SECA and Maxim, if you run the stock airbox you have to keep the uneven main jets, and you can't flip them around either, much like I did last night.

Uneven main jets I was unaware that it was like that, my carb on my running bike might be equal to each other. Ill have to double check.

maybe they are, I haven't had them off the bike this year so im not sure. When I did the tuning I used what ever I had laying around. But now that we are talking about it, it does sound familiar to me.

Back