1982 Yamaha XS400 starter switch questions

MajorRichardWeed

1982 XS400
Reaction score
Hey guys, having issues with my 1982 Yamaha XS400, I believe it is a Maxim. When I first got her she wasn't running and was making a clicking noise when I tried to start it. Found the ignition fuse loose and she was up and running. It's been about 4 months, I've made a couple of upgrades but nothing electrical. She won't start again. When I was playing with the ignition fuse again it made the same clicking noise it had 4 months ago, and I was pressing the starter repeatedly while messing with the fuse. After the 4th press it gave a little cough and started to turn, but quickly stopped. Now when I press the start button nothing really happens. Not even a dimming of the brake light when I push in the start button, no change in voltage. So I'm taking a look at the starter switch to eliminate that, here's the video explaining what's going on:
(Battery is fully charged) I'm trying to figure out which wires are supposed to have power when the switch is on, and which wires aren't. The red/yellow wire is the only wire that gets power when start button is pushed. No other wires get volts at any point - start button in or out - Thanks for any help!

you can test it by grounding the switch, that's how it works. I connected an alligator to the engine and the other end i could touch to the blue starter button wire. it would cause it to register as pressing starter button and served as an easy test when my button was shoddy (plastic flange broke so spring slipped out).

if you press and hear clicking only, probably solenoid is shot

Thanks for the help. Before seeing your post I actually ordered a new solenoid, replaced it, and nothing. For some reason I had an extra starter safety relay sitting around, got a feeling to plug that in and boom. Starts right up every time! Now she's backfiring out of the right cylinder but I left her sitting all winter so probably just needs a good carb clean and I'll be back on the streets. :bike: Hopefully!

Thanks for the help. Before seeing your post I actually ordered a new solenoid, replaced it, and nothing. For some reason I had an extra starter safety relay sitting around, got a feeling to plug that in and boom. Starts right up every time! Now she's backfiring out of the right cylinder but I left her sitting all winter so probably just needs a good carb clean and I'll be back on the streets. :bike: Hopefully!
Me again. Just barely went to go take off the carbs and noticed something off. The vacuum tube going to the petcock was unhooked! I figured I should probably connect that up and see if all my problems go away. What do you know ;) boom! Everything's working smoothly, just went on a quick 15 minute ride without a problem. Didn't even need to clean the carbs! All that's left is re-painting and fixing the high-beam low-beam headlight problem. I'll make a post with pictures showing the finished build. Thanks!

Back