1983 ignition coils

Tacticus

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Bought my first bike a few months ago and its a beautiful 1983 maxim 400xs. As of late she does not start earlier in the morning. ..but will fire up fine later that day. Changed battery and plugs but every so often she just won't start. My dear 73 year old dad who used to be a bike mechanic in 50\60's says its probably moisture on the plug cables. Its seems the cables can't be removed from the coils on a 1983 maxim so i need a link to a replacment coil or any other advice like how to seal the cables batter maybe?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to carbureted motors. When they are cold they are harder to start. Turn the idle screw a few turns it should start right up. After it gets warm, turn it back down. On later years manufactures stuck a high idle switch on the bars to make it easier.

yup cold weather is not my xs400's friend for sure.

The thing is I've been riding it since late winter and have been able to start it up in much colder weather. I actually got stuck once at the front of a ferry not thinking about the ocean winds and how much they can cool a bike down during the passage.:)

This has just started happening now that we are getting lots of moisture in the morning time. Was hoping to get new coils and plugs on the bike anyways.

I will try what you said though I'm very excited to have an option to start my cold bike up quicker!

The wires can be disconnected from the coils on my '82. I replaced the wires a couple years ago.

As for starting and running in cold or damp weather, my answer is that a properly sorted and tuned bike will not have issues. Mine is fine starting right after being washed, and runs fine in heavy rain. I have been able to start and ride my bike in sub-freezing weather.

Get the weak points sorted out and it will run great, all the time.

Its a black knob on the side of the carbs... You pull it out and it adds fuel. Kinda like a choke but instead of limiting air it adds fuel.

Back