1st Bike build, a 74 RD250/350 Cafe build.

06CCDMAX

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys. I joined here when I picked up an 81 XS I planned to personalize a bit. Short version...
Busted rib at work so not keen on doing too much "work" here after work.
So I'm browsing CL for the heck of it/to kill the evening, and see a 74 RD250 the owner is selling or wants to trade for a preferably XS400. Heck, I LOVE 2-strokes! It's a bit older and has a bit more use 20,000 vs. 4,000 miles, but it's AN RD! I'm on 2-stroke world, same name now, but they're 90% motor oriented, and this site seems to be 90% the rest of the bike, and they are quite similar. I think I'll get more "Build" info from here honestly, while the motor/exhaust I have a good idea on already, and will get the rest from over there.
OK, So here I start...
The '81 I no longer own in the foreground, the new toy in the background.
View attachment 9615
While not showroom, it's a clean bike. And it's a PERFECT start for a build, as it was on the road at the time of the trade, and most of the blemished bits I plan on swapping anyways. :thumbsup:
c4Noz.jpg

bOzQe.jpg

OK. Now I'm looking to go for something that may end up a Tracker/Cafe cross. I'm not trying to do a style to do a style. I want to make this bike more fun, look like I want it to, and shed some weight while picking up HP.
The HP... an RD350 I got for the motor.
dtdb0.jpg

Pipes are critical on a 2t and I ended up ordering from SpecII. Gary is a great guy and knows his S#!t. I'm going with Rear-Sets and just ordered a set from "Vintage Smoke". Nick's in Northern NJ and a great guy. His Rear sets are reportedly the best. I'll see, sure look good...
I'm up in the air on Bars. I have to play around with positions.. Most clip-ons I don't like, or are crazy $$$, or are cheap china made bits I sure won't trust MY life to... I'm not crazy about clubmans, drag bars I can bend up easy but have to play with positions. Hmmm....
Seat will stay 2-up. I'm thinking something like this:
SFE2.jpg

The price is a bit much, But while I can Cut foam and Re-Cover, (Did my KTM to lower seat when I bought it) I am not an upholsterer and won't sew up a cover with good results. If I can find a close seat I can modify it to the RD seat pan, if anyone has seen something like that...
Tank to stay stock for the moment. The spare may get a Knee-dent mod if I feel I need it. Won't just for looks but I have to see how I "sit" on the bike with seat/rear-sets finished.
I have to see how it starts to come together and will be taken one piece at a time. My original idea to see just how little $$ I can spend on the build went when I got the 2t. 700 on pipes alone, and I could easily dump a couple grand into the engine.
I know it's not an XS but I think this build will fit in as my goal seems to be along the lines of other's here, just with a lil oil in the mix. :bike:

personally I'd keep it the way it is, patina and all.

they are worth a lot of money standard in the UK

That actually brings up a good point. They probably aren't worth as much here, but aren't exactly worthless either, and I do like the bike a lot.. The spare bike I got, sans-title, I plan on using for bits that I modify (Including the engine). I plan on keeping the RD250 so it CAN be put back to stock. I'm not going to be cutting it all up. Hell, I may just detab the 350 frame straight away and use it if I plan more than center-stand removal. The thought being when I get to the point that I've done enough in the build that I have basically the stock bike again in parts, I will get a title for the RD350 and put the RD250 back as stock. I think the dent in the tank will get bumped out, and a few misc.. things, but I don't plan a full "Reso" paint job.

Nice bike, i would have swapped too.
I agree what you said about this forum, good guys and very encouraging and helpfull.
Ive just brought a 2 owner 75 400 four with an original Dunstall faring, i thought about starting a thread on that when i finish my XS but a thread on a Honda may generate hate mail.

Gotta clear out my (Friend's :thumbsup:) Garage. Stopped at Vintage smoke to pick up rearsets. Hot damn! Better than I thought. Full bearings, great machining work, teflon bearing heim joints, Top notch!! Pipe is a SpecII F-1 (Yea, gotta go with a chamber for the ring ding dinger :laugh:) I will be finishing it natural, no paint. Looks awesome with the welds and bluing from them showing. Should be picking up a seat for half cost this saturday from a 2-stroke guy across the river. Then I need bars and I'm off to a good start. I'm going to get some pics this weekend. :bike:

Nice bike, i would have swapped too.
I agree what you said about this forum, good guys and very encouraging and helpfull.
Ive just brought a 2 owner 75 400 four with an original Dunstall faring, i thought about starting a thread on that when i finish my XS but a thread on a Honda may generate hate mail.

Well, I'm keeping it Yamaha, but i'm sure a thread about a nice Honda build on the Non-xs would go just fine. I won't bash too much. :laugh:

Back