$250 - $500 rear monoshock for '82 XS400R

robindean

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
A very knowledgeable friend strongly suggested that I go to the Hagon website and get a nice new rear monoshock that can be rebuilt.

So, I did but I can't find anything that directly points to an '82 XS400R Seca.

Now, another friend of mine has an '83 XZ550 Vision (oy! crazy bike) which has many similar parts in terms of design. Hagon does, in fact, list that bike and shows the following rear monoshock as compatible with said year/make/model.

Can someone please tell me if this monoshock will work with my '82 XS400R?

http://www.hagon-shocks.co.uk/catalog/partdetail.aspx?PartNo=M62081

Nice, drewpster ... on it!

At the same time, I'm looking for a good rear monoshock within the thread topic's posted budget that is WORTH the money spent.

Do you (or anyone else reading this) have a preferred source / model that will fit my bike?

I have never worked on the dohc bike, so am unfamiliar with it.

best advice I could offer is to measure the eye to eye length and check brackets for installation.

did that for my tracker, just bought Laverda shocks and they fit fine.

I can confirm that the 1982 and 1983 XS400 DOHC monoshocks are interchangeable. The 550 is not listed as an interchangeable part (according to part numbers.) If you have a buddy with one, though, ask them to take some measurements: shock body length, diameter for fitment, and size of the bolts, bushings, etc at either end.

Back