2E Engine Struggles When Warmed Up

andrewvalentine

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey All,
I'm at my wits end with this problem:
When bike starts cold everything runs perfect. The bike holds idle, both cylinders run strong (as felt by strong exhaust from pipes), everything sounds perfect until the bike heats up. After 15-20 minutes or so the engine stops running smoothly and struggles to get above 2k rpm when the engine is given fuel. Even with the throttle all the way open the engine struggles and doesn't have the power to move the bike in 1st gear.
I checked the coils/timing and everything is good. I guess it could still be a carb problem but it's been taken apart, cleaned and reassembled so many times. Any ideas? I'm so frustrated.

Any mods to the bike? Synced carbs? Fully disassembled and cleaned carbs? Those year carbs have issues with broken pilot mix screw tips in the bodies. Post some pics of the bike.

Any mods to the bike? Synced carbs? Fully disassembled and cleaned carbs? Those year carbs have issues with broken pilot mix screw tips in the bodies. Post some pics of the bike.
I put the UNI foam pod filters on the bike but it ran fine until now. No change to the jetting. I'm probably better off putting the stock airboxes back on right...

Yup. If you have a good set of stock filters and boxes, it's the best way to go.

Back