3 rear wheel bearings?

miks15

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've just picked up a project bike from someone on another forum, it is a honda cb360, but it has come with yamaha xs wheels (the 7 spoke type, are they called mags?)

I am not sure which XS they are off. They are 18inch wheels, drum brakes with a cush drive. Anyway when I was stripping the wheel down to replace the wheel bearings, the wheel are 3 bearings. One on the brake side and 2 on the cush drive side. Is this normal? or has someone added an extra bearing for some reason along the line?

i have attached a picture, these 2 bearings both came out of the same side. Can anyone shed any light on this? Firstly can anyone tell which XS it is off? Is it a 400? Or is there any other way I can tell?

Appreciate any help you can offer.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMAG0430.jpg
    IMAG0430.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 331
Not sure on the casting, will have a look when I get home tonight.

What numbers would indicate what model?

Thanks Chris, what makes you think it is an RD wheel?

Ahh right I see. That makes sense, no wonder none of the diagrams i could find on Bike bandit looked right!

Would anyone happen to know if the 3 bearings are normal on the RD wheel?

Look up late 70's (77-79) rd400-350 rear wheels and that should tell you.

I had had a look, and all the mag type wheels on RD 400s seem to have the same type of cush drive as the XS's (the 4 little rubber tubes inside the wheel.

The other thing I noticed today was that it says it is suitable for tubeless tyres. I have had a quick search around and this seems to suggest it is off a post 80's yamaha? Is this correct? Anyone got any idea what this could be off as it seems the RD's only go up to 79?

Thanks

Does it have a yamaha logo on it? If you go on yamaha.com and look at their parts catalog for post 80 bikes you may be able to find it. I tried to get on their parts page but it will not load:banghead: The sr500 looks about right. It seems the early rd350's only had this type of cush drive.

Last edited:
:) Asking a question on the XS400 forum for a honda cb360 with SR500 wheels and get the right answer:laugh: Awesome!!

Back