76 xs250 conversion to 400 advice please

norrie

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm about to buy an XS 400 top end with head, cylinders, pistons and carbs. What else am I going to need to convert my 250 to 400?

intakes and air filter H pipe. need to check sprocket sizes too
Thanks drewpy. As a beginner, I've only worked on the carbs before. Is it going to be reasonably straight forward? I'm hoping I'm not biting off more than I can chew and will end up with a bike in pieces for 6 months. How long should it take the average noob to do? I'm guessing I'll need a set of gaskets too.

yep gaskets and follow the workshop manual.

was my first proper rebuild with the XS engine and they are straight forward if you follow the manual

Looking at top end gaskets on eBay, they all seem to say they're for the special. Are they the same engines/kits as a regular XS400?

the special has round barrels, not sure on the shape of the gasket for the head. need to ask the vendor.
there should be an Athena gasket set or buy gen yam (you can double check part #'s and see if there is a difference)

None of the kits seem to have a gasket for the top. I guess that's called the rocker cover? What am I missing here? Is there supposed to be one or do I use silicone?

There is no gasket for the rocker cover. A thin coating of yamabond will do nicely.

I have ordered the same gasket set for my xs360 with square jugs and for my 1982 xs400SJ heritage special with round jugs. Both fit perfectly.

There is no gasket for the rocker cover. A thin coating of yamabond will do nicely.

I have ordered the same gasket set for my xs360 with square jugs and for my 1982 xs400SJ heritage special with round jugs. Both fit perfectly.

Awesome! Thanks mate. Just what I wanted to hear.

Guys… Stainless steel engine bolts – yay or nay? They look good but I've heard they can seize. I'd like to hear some experiences/opinions before I buy some. Ta!

Always use antiseize and tighten to the lower torque specs as per the bolt kit instructions.

I should get the top end this week and the gaskets next week. Before I do the transplant, what do I need to do? Im guessing I need to clean all the parts with something before I bolt it up, correct? I'm not sure how long these parts have been off that donor bike but I think they've been stored stacked on top of each other. I also plan on getting the top end exterior blasted. Should I have that done before or after its all bolted up?

vapour blast before, wash out and measure and inspect everything so its within spec before rebuilding then you only need to do it once.

Sorry, I'm as noob as it gets. A few more questions:

1. While I have the thing in bits and have new gaskets and bolts incoming, is it also a good idea to replace the valve seals? What else should I be replacing and collecting parts for?

2. When they vapour or soda blast, do they blast the inside? If so, that means I should remove the valves and springs, right? What should they be blasting and what should they not blast? I thought I remember a pic somewhere showing the pistons were blasted too, or am I mistaken?

3. Also, I find occasionally I go to shift into (I think) 4th and when I let the clutch out, it's not in gear. It doesn't happen all the time but where should I investigate to see if I can fix this issue?

Sorry, I'm as noob as it gets. A few more questions:

1. While I have the thing in bits and have new gaskets and bolts incoming, is it also a good idea to replace the valve seals? What else should I be replacing and collecting parts for?
valve seals should come in the gasket kit
2. When they vapour or soda blast, do they blast the inside? If so, that means I should remove the valves and springs, right? What should they be blasting and what should they not blast? I thought I remember a pic somewhere showing the pistons were blasted too, or am I mistaken?
they blast everything, anything that's steel and can be removed, should be. its a really gentle cleaning process and won't take off paint. I had my carbs done too
3. Also, I find occasionally I go to shift into (I think) 4th and when I let the clutch out, it's not in gear. It doesn't happen all the time but where should I investigate to see if I can fix this issue?
check the shift drum and when your inside the crankcase, look at the gears and dogs (spline thingies on the gears) if there is any obvious wear.

valve seals should come in the gasket kit

they blast everything, anything that's steel and can be removed, should be. its a really gentle cleaning process and won't take off paint. I had my carbs done too

check the shift drum and when your inside the crankcase, look at the gears and dogs (spline thingies on the gears) if there is any obvious wear.

Thanks mate. Yeah, definitely having the carbs done too.

Back