76' xs360 - need carb parts

bochnak

Matt
Reaction score
Hi,

I tore the carbs apart and can't seem to find the following parts:

slide/diaphragm
choke gaskets

Are there any aftermarket carbs available? 2 to 1 conversion? Seems like parts are rare for the originals.

Thanks,
Matt

Choke gaskets? You mean the gaskets embedded in the plungers? I just removed the entire plunger. Try a rubberized sealant, like Shoe Goo, on the tear in the Diaphragm before trashing it. I've heard rumor of things like this holding up for a long time.

Did you remove the butteryfly gaskets? Most people forget about those.

A used diaphragm on ebay or the classifieds here is probably your best bet. I've never seen them for sale.

Post some photos of your carbs. We can tell you if they really need to be dipped. Pulling the butterfly valves off is a pain.

Choke gaskets? You mean the gaskets embedded in the plungers? I just removed the entire plunger. Try a rubberized sealant, like Shoe Goo, on the tear in the Diaphragm before trashing it. I've heard rumor of things like this holding up for a long time.

Did you remove the butteryfly gaskets? Most people forget about those.

A used diaphragm on ebay or the classifieds here is probably your best bet. I've never seen them for sale.

Post some photos of your carbs. We can tell you if they really need to be dipped. Pulling the butterfly valves off is a pain.

From mike's xs site, choke gasket is similiar to this one:

48-2010.jpg

Butterfly gaskets? Do you mean shaft seal? I believe these are available from mike's xs.

I could probably get away with some RTV on the diaphragm. I'd rather not.

I'll try and post some pics. One slide is still stuck, and the floats are starting to move a bit.

Ah, it looks like you even have different carbs than my '78 xs400. Those diaphragms are pretty expensive new. When I was looking for replacement parts in the past I found virtually nothing in the USA; it's all in Germany or the UK. Over here they tend to only have the most basic bits.

xs400 parts
http://motorradbay.de/main/honda.php?kat=yamaha&best_nr=&modell=xs400#

xs360 parts
http://motorradbay.de/main/honda.php?kat=yamaha&best_nr=&modell=xs360

They sell diaphragms, but I am not sure what your model designation is.

The xs360 carbs are 32mm and look like the 38mm carbs used on the xs650 pre 1980.

Well, I found the choke gaskets and retrofitted new diaphragm "tires" onto the slides.

I dipped the carbs, cleaned them up real good, and installed new butterfly seals.

I got the bike running last night and found a vacuum leak on one of the choke plungers.:banghead:

Seems like the choke plunger is another hard part to find. I'll pull the RH side out and compare to parts on mike's xs site.

From images I have seen, looks like the base of the plunger has a rubber pad that is supposed to seal a passage, correct?

Back