'76 XS360C- oil behind generator cover

iamunique127

XS360C Owner
Reaction score
Hi all,

I picked up a sweet XS360 that I'm re-conditioning over the winter.

When I removed the generator cover to take a look there was a bit of oil sitting in the bottom of the case. I replaced the cover and the bolts finger tight and the next day there was a small oil spill on the floor. After putting a pan under it, I find there seems to be a slow leak, there was maybe 5-10cc of oil in the drip pan.

My questions: is this a cause for concern? Is there supposed to be oil in here?

I'm guessing at the answers to the above and wondering how I fix this. There is an oil seal further back. Do I need to split the cases to replace it or can it be done with the engine intact?

Thanks for any input. I'm sure I'll have more questions. I hope to post a build thread, too.

Pics help, I was chasing an oil demon last summer, Ultimately it turnout out to be the valves, and it was leaking out a condensation hole from where the exhaust attached.
My questions: is this a cause for concern? Is there supposed to be oil in here?
Yes there is suppose to be oil in there. When I was chasing my oil leak demon, I did pull off both alternator cover, and the stator cover, added a form-a-gasket, and that seal up the leaks on that side. the Oil filter cover, I lightly sanded that, so that the seal would mate up better. when it should not have been dripping anymore it turned out, I failed to tighten the nut on the valves, and it worked it's way off after 2 years. (6 months of use)

good luck, show us pics

After putting it back together if that gasket still leaks you will need a new one. You may find after a while of running there will most likely be other leaks from a bike that has sat so many years. I would get yourself a complete gasket and seal kit. You can find both on ebay or some aftermarket stores.

I asked the question in my build thread here with a photo, see post #14 in that thread.

Here is Drewpy's reply:
oil should be there, that's why the cover has a gasket.

it coats the starter chain and keeps the stator cool

That agrees with your answer Arfstrom. Thanks for your input.

I haven't had an oil leak there and once I replace the cover and gasket and tighten up the bolts there is no leak.

Thanks for everyone's replies. I'll try to keep any questions related to the build in my build thread.

Back