77 400...great idle but choking with throttle

EasyE

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I have 78 xs400 and I have a slight bit of trouble starting but get it started w full choke...once running idles decent but if I give the throttle a quick turn...cuts out. Can baby throddle up to reach full rpms..Couldn't stand it and figured I'd try to take it out for a spin around the block. Good take off and strong through all 6 but when slowing up to a stop, first time off gas from take off, cuts out. After 15 or more kick starts. Fires back up and cuts out again before heading up the drive...idk if it's deprived or flooding w gas but has previous problems of noticeable gas fumes in oil

Replaced needles do to corrosion and they were bleeding by...changed oil and couldn't 100 percent tell if it was the remains or still coming through but not the total problem.

Have stock everything as far as engine and exhaust...guy before me put a inline fuel filter on but even when primed and full will still act up...
Appreciate all input
Kyle

Well, since no one else is going to say it...

Repeat after me:
"Hello. My name is (state name). I own an XS400. My carbs need to be cleaned and adjusted, again..."

Any questions? If so, repeat the above. :)

If you search here, you will find most every newcomer asks similar questions and gets similar replies. We have all been there, and there is no denying the answer - clean your carbs! ;)

1. Names is Kyle Ezolt out of kutztown pa, this is obviously my first bike, old, due to the fact that I want to learn the skills of how to work on something different...have mechanical ability as a refrigeration technician to turn a wrench and understand mechanics just in a different view. I just don't have anyone to show me anything. Though most experienced guys think oh look some new kid trying to follow crowds and build an old bike up...not the deal.

2. Cleaned took carbs to local family friend that has 'sonic' cleaner so I know it's not due to deposites...I came on here looking for direction so I can learn something about techniques and skills so I can be a do it yourselfer and obtain a skill. Though it most likely needs to be a hands on lesson, i can put a little input to use to lead me in a good direction so I can at least give a go at it and tinker till lessons learner

Not being smarta** just want you to see my point of view and give me some good direction.

Thanks guys
Kyle

What size jets are you running? What did you set your float height to? What is your needle clip position?

If you did not install an in-line fuel filter befoer installing your newly cleaned carbs, they could be clogged up again from tank crud. I did exactly that the first time I cleaned my XJ700 carbs. Other possibuilities could be the floats are upside down or not set to the correct height. Third most likely is the carbs simply were not cleaned well enough the first time. Another possibility is the setting the points and ignition timing.

Using an ultrasonic cleaner is a great way to get the carbs clean. But what cleaning solution was used? Most of us have found that a mild acid is required to remove the corrosion that is often found in the tiny passages. Probing the passages with a fine wire is also helpful in dislodging deposits and corrosion.

My point is, Kyle, that you are thinking that your carbs are clean (as I did) just because they have been cleaned. There are numerous posts and threads here that prove this assumption has been incorrect. It took over 10 hours in a heated ultrasonic cleaner with an acidic cleaner, and probing passages, and 130 psi air before my carbs were actually clean.

While you may not like this answer, I honestly believe that you should go over your carbs again and again. With a magnifying glass and a bright light (literally). There is no such thing as "too clean" with these carbs. I've been there and refused to believe other members advice. After wasting many hours and getting very frustrated, I now believe.

Back