77-79 carbs interchangable with 80-82 carbs?

MetalHead

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I want to start by saying thank you to all you knowledgeable gear heads. I have learned a ton in the last 6 months from this forum alone.

Now to business. I have a set of 78 carbs with great parts. The bodies are junk do to broken mixture screws. My question is, can I swap the parts from the 77-79 carbs into 80-82 bodies? Also, If that doesn't work, can I use 80-82 carbs on a 78 bike? I am having a hell of a time finding a set of 77-79 carbs and just want to get something that will work. User njcafe84 mentioned he will sell me a set 81 bodies, but I need to know if the parts will swap. Thank you in advance.

P.S. sorry if this has already been asked. I skimmed through several pages in the carb section of the garage forum and didn't see anything.

I'm not entirely sure, but I think the SOHC carbs would be interchangeable in their entirety (so putting a full 80-82 carb on a 78-79 bike) but I'm even less sure about the internals.
The carbs would very likely have to be re-jetted in either case.

good luck!

I'm not entirely sure, but I think the SOHC carbs would be interchangeable in their entirety (so putting a full 80-82 carb on a 78-79 bike) but I'm even less sure about the internals.
The carbs would very likely have to be re-jetted in either case.

good luck!
Thanks man. That gives me hope. I'll keep looking into it.

The internals and bodies on the 77-79 sohc xs400 carbs are NOT the same as the internals and bodies on the 80-82 sohc xs400 carbs. I would look for a set of the 80-82 sohc ones. Parts are widely available and have no issues with broken needles:doh:

If you swap the entire carb set, yes, later SOHC carbs will work on an earlier SOHC bike, though you may want to use the jet sizes for the older bike. Mixing and matching parts, however, will not work.

They use the same jets/sizes other than the air jet at the front but those don't wear out.

Back