77' xs 360 head leak

ciaostupido

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!, So i've put about 2000mi on my XS since i got it back in July. Unfortunately now the left side cylinder has developed this gnarly head leak. It runs fine otherwise so i'm going to chalk it up to a 37+ year old head gasket going bad.
I was wondering how difficult is it to replace the head gasket? My friend was telling me I would have to re-time the valves/remove the cam's and such if I were to replace it.
Also does anyone know if the XS400 gasket set is compatible with the XS360 cylinders?
And lastly does the valve cover take a gasket or should I just use rtv or something similar when It comes to putting it back on?

Thanks!

How to do it is all in the manual. You will need a head gasket for a xs360 as the pistons are smaller than the 400. I think there are some to be found on ebay. If you are doing a head gasket best to replace all the seals and gaskets for the entire top end. Also do a valve lap. For the rocker box a thin bead of yamabond is all you need. There are a few posts on this in the forum. If the leak is not too bad just keep it clean and the oil full.

Attachments

• DSC02808.jpg
    DSC02808.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 209
Back